Back sweetening question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kretzy

Reaction score
I am making a pecan wine and despite all the warnings that it would be too oily I did not have much of a problem it smells good and tastes fine ( a little harsh but it has only been transferred to the secondary) it has stopped bubbling now, and I am still waiting for some of the yeast to drop, and thought I would prepare for back sweetening it. I am thinking I would like to turn it into more of a desert wine, well maybe not that sweet but sweeter than it is now. I made it using brown sugar molasses and white sugar... My question is what should I back sweeten it with, would it be ok to introduce honey in the mix or is it better to just stick with a simple syrup. As well should I sweeten it wait for it to stop fermenting if it starts up again or should I stabilize it first, any experience with not using a stabilizer? I would like to it to come out tasting yummy! I made it with the primary ingredients I use when making my pecan pie hoping I might get something with a similar essence in the end, this was my one entirely experimental wine! So fingers crossed!,,

If you're happy with the flavor besides the sweetness you may wanna use an unfermentable sweetener. Let us know how this turns out!

If you want to sweeten, you can use any sweetener you choose- molasses, honey, sugar, maple syrup, etc. But you must stabilize before sweetening.

Once the wine is finished, and clear, and no longer dropping lees, you can stabilize it with potassium sorbate and potassium metabisulfite (camdpen tablets). Once you rack into those dissolved in some water, let it sit a few days and then sweeten as desired. Wait a few days to ensure fermentation doesn't restart, and then bottle.

What she said...

If you want to sweeten, you can use any sweetener you choose- molasses, honey, sugar, maple syrup, etc. But you must stabilize before sweetening.

Once the wine is finished, and clear, and no longer dropping lees, you can stabilize it with potassium sorbate and potassium metabisulfite (camdpen tablets). Once you rack into those dissolved in some water, let it sit a few days and then sweeten as desired. Wait a few days to ensure fermentation doesn't restart, and then bottle.

Awesome thanks! I will stabilize then and see how it all comes out! Hopefully good!

Back