spent grain doggy cookies?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unionrdr

Homebrewer, author & air gun collector
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the place to ask this,but I've seen mentions of recipes for dog biscuits made from spent grains. I'd like some of you to list some recipes I can use for what started as .5lb of Carapils?...

Mix some crap and grains together and then roll it in cat litter and your dog will go nuts :). Seriously though, Zymurgy had a recipe in the last issue which I'm at work so can't write it up for you.

Cool,thanx. I can't wait to see a few more recipes to figure one up that looks like it'll work with what looks like 2C. Besides flavors,etc. Max & Zoe will love this. We were sittin at the comp,watchin videos with the fermenter stand to our right. Zoe came in,sniffed one then the other,then back to the first one,sniffing the spouts. Looks like we got another beer hound in line. So she should like these!

The recipe in the zymurgy article is almost identical to the one in the thread posted above.

I made these for some friends before and they worked out well. I think if I were going to make them again I'd try to get some bacon flavor in there.

I found another recipe, similar to the one posted above. Came out really great, well at least my dog and my friend's dog thought so.

Subscribed. I need to make these for the dogs. I have an English Mastiff and a heinz 57 kennel dog that usually like to hang out with me while brewing.

I've made a half dozen or so batches for my shepherds and they love em. Will probably never have to buy a commercial treat again. They especially seem to like ones made with chocolate malts.

Couple of other things to add besides or in addition to peanut butter: bacon grease, molasses.......any other ideas?

Jason

How about bacon drippin? I save that stuff for biscuits-n-gravy. I even wondered if "baco's" could be used? They're like grainy lil chunks you put on salads,etc. Thought they might work.

I add 2 tsp of parmesan cheese and some garlic powder. My dog prefers these treats over any other.

I tried adding beef bullion, and chicken bullion, but that is pointless if using peanut butter - the PB flavor is too strong. Next time I want to try the bullion route I'll replace the PB with veg oil.

I've also played around with adding food coloring for aesthetics. About 15 drops of read gives it a nice beefy color (for the 4-cup-of-grain recipe).

So just add some bullion powder,or crush cubes/cakes? How about subing .5C of bacon fat for the .5C of peanut butter in a half batch? I have 2-3 cups of spent grain.

Adding just the powder or cubes? Wow that's got to be pretty salty.

Those little cubes only taste salty if you pop one in your mouth. Adding one to a cup of water makes the equivelent of a can of bullion, and that is not too salty.

We are talking about adding one to about 2 quarts of dog biscuit mix. The result is not salty. Still, if you can find flavoring that is salt-free, that would be ideal. I just use whats around the house :)

Back