beer just hit correct gravity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redliner

Reaction score
Alright so I finally hit my gravity. I was just wondering would it be better to empty it into a secondary or just go straight to bottling? I think a secondary would be better so it would clear up a little more and filter out more crap. The only problem is I only have my primary bucket and then a bottling bucket (starter kit) would it be worth my while to pick up a carboy or is there another way to do this. Or should I just not worry about it and bottle

Generally speaking, ales will hit terminal gravity fairly quickly. Most just leave it for another couple weeks in the primary and then package.

Well since you are just starting out a carboy is more expensive so I suggest that you just pick up a couple more brewing buckets. They are much cheaper and then you can get the next batch started and experiment with leaving in primary or moving to secondary. What are you making?

im making a oktoberfest just a extract brew. I can't wait to see how it comes out, ive had it in the primary for 2.5 wks I think im gonna pick up a carboy since I plan on sticking to this hobby. Ill prob put it in that come sunday and let it sit for 2 morw weeks then bottle it.

Another question once i put it in bottles for conditioning is it better to keep them in a fridge for 2 weeks cold. Or to leave them in my basement about 65 degrees.

im making a oktoberfest just a extract brew. I can't wait to see how it comes out, ive had it in the primary for 2.5 wks I think im gonna pick up a carboy since I plan on sticking to this hobby. Ill prob put it in that come sunday and let it sit for 2 morw weeks then bottle it.

Another question once i put it in bottles for conditioning is it better to keep them in a fridge for 2 weeks cold. Or to leave them in my basement about 65 degrees.

You'll want to leave them around 70* to carb up.

Did you use an ale yeast or lager yeast for this?

ale yeast.

ok i just anted to make sure im gonna order a bette bottle and a couple other things.

Welcome to BREWING!!!! Something you could do is transfer it to your bottling bucket, clean and sanitize your primary, then put it back in the primary. I always do two weeks in a primary then two weeks in a secondary, makes the beer so much clearer. But thats just me...

ya i was thinking about doing that I prob will maybe on sunday. I def want my beer to be a little clearer than what it is right now

You def do not need a secondary just to get it cleared up more. What you need is more patience & not fooling around with risking oxygenation of your beer by moving it back & forth. Just leave it in the primary for 3-4 weeks & it'll clear to a slight haze. Besides giving the yeast time to clean up by products of fermentation. Then bottle it,put them in a box for 3-4 weeks at 70F. Average gravity beers only take 3,maybe four weeks to condition. Remember,you're not just carbonating,you're aging them too. You can't beat father time at his own game.

Six one way and half dozen the other - you could leave it in the primary to clear or you could rack it to secondary to clear. However, every time you transfer it, you'll likely leave more and more sediment behind, which is why I think you can get a clearer beer faster by racking it to secondary and bottling from there.

I don't think it's any faster if you look at the actual time involved. Imo,it adds up to about the same amount of time. But,as many say,it's all up to what works for you.:mug:

Ya I think I might try a secondary and maybe add some finings to it and really clear it up. Im not worried about time I can wait 6-10 weeks until I drink it not a big deal to me.

Back