too late to dry hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkfloyd4ever

Reaction score
Ok so I brewed on Jan 1 and racked to secondary on the 9th. I'm making Palmer's Cincinnati Pale Ale. I have about 1/3 oz of Cascade pellets left over that I meant to dry hop with when I racked to secondary, but somehow I totally forgot about it until tonight.

Will I be wasting them if I dry hop with them at this point?

I'm also concerned about infecting it when I do this. I know the hops themselves aren't a concern, but how do you sanitize cheese cloth? (I was gonna use that since I already have some)

Don't think it matters how long after primary fermentation that you add the hops just so as long as it's after primary. Do you need the bag? I've never brewed with bags so out of touch with the applications they're used for these days.

I toss pellets in loosely. It takes about 7-10 days for the pellets to finally drop to the bottom. If you must use cheese cloth you could dry hop for 4-5 days and sanitize the cheese cloth in boiling water for a bit.

It's never too late to dry hop, although it's tough once you've bottled. You can sanitize the bag/cheesecloth by dipping it in any no-rinse sanitizer. I've never bothered.

Yeah, just toss those pellets in there. It'll take a week for them to settle out. You'll be fine.

So I put the pellets in there. I had been storing them in the freezer, and I just dumped em in frozen. I don't think that will hurt anything, will it?

It started bubbling a lot faster than it had been. Is that normal?

holy crap. there's pretty much a second krausen now...I guess there were a lot more unfermented sugars left in there than I thought. Good thing I left as much headspace as I did, cause my secondary fermenter is a 5 gal carboy

ok, so I've been waiting for my beer to stop bubbling before bottling. I found out that the surge in bubbles after adding the hops to the secondary was due to their rough surface which allows dissolved CO2 to precipitate out of solution.

Problem is, it's still bubbling, a lot more than it was for the few days before I added the hops (which was 2 weeks ago). I just checked the gravity and it's 1.014, the same as it was when I racked to secondary over 3 weeks ago. What's the deal? I've always read not to bottle until you get the constant gravity readings over several days (which I obviously have), but I don't want bottle bombs

ok, so I've been waiting for my beer to stop bubbling before bottling. I found out that the surge in bubbles after adding the hops to the secondary was due to their rough surface which allows dissolved CO2 to precipitate out of solution.

Problem is, it's still bubbling, a lot more than it was for the few days before I added the hops (which was 2 weeks ago). I just checked the gravity and it's 1.014, the same as it was when I racked to secondary over 3 weeks ago. What's the deal? I've always read not to bottle until you get the constant gravity readings over several days (which I obviously have), but I don't want bottle bombs

anyone? Will I be ok bottling now or should I wait till it stops bubbling?

I think you're good to bottle. It's been 2 weeks since you dry hopped, your gravity is stable at 1.014, I don't see a problem with it.

The only problem with the bubbling is racking. I've had the came circumstance before, and couldn't get the siphoning to hold it's prime. Kept losing it. Bubbles collected in the neck and broke the siphon. So, if the gravity stays the same, yeah it's done, but you may experience some difficulty. Won't hurt it at all to wait for the bubbles to stop.

Pinkfloyd4ever: you need to clean out your PM box. It was too full to give you this message:

The Ultimate racking canes are a one time deal. Once they are gone they are gone. We can take a 30" model and cut 4 inches off for you. Let me know if you want me to do that for you.

Star San has been flying off the shelf and the distributor was out of stock. We have hundreds more bottles arriving early next week.

For some reason the distributors we use do not carry a #8 solid stopper.

Sorry about the outages, the vendors are still catching up from christmas.

Forrest

Back