To Wii or not to Wii, that is the question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

To Wii or Not to Wii

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

schneemann

Reaction score
The family is contemplating buying a Wii, but I'm not sure.

Arguments Against:
1) I'm not into games. I was obsessed with my Atari 2600 when I was a kid, but around the time Nintendo came out, I got interested in other stuff. I played some Nintendo and Sega but I just plain SUCKED, so that helped eliminate all interest.
2) My wife is the same way
3) Wiis are damn expensive. The original game console isn't too bad, but all the extra controllers and other **** you have to buy really adds up, bigtime
4) My kids are 5 and 3. I don't see a lot of educational games out there for the Wii

Arguments For:
1) I'd like to find ways to keep the kids away from the TV. I think we do a good job of this already but, when the kids are bored I think of a Wii as a better alternative to TV
2) Similar to above, it can be a good way to get people moving. I would def. be buying the Wii Fit
3) This is something the family can do together.

We got a Wii for our daughter and we love it. Even my wife who has NEVER been into video games has taken a few turns and asked for a Wii Fit for her birthday. It lets the kids play video games and still gets their butts off the couch. When we break out the Wii sports disc, it doesn't take long before we're all sweaty and worn out.

Granted, some of the games are more active than others. My daughter plays some on there that use the controllers in a more traditional style.

Let's get Wiitarded in here......

Go for it. We have one and love it. We just had a party for UFC 91 and after the fight we played boxing, tennis, baseball and rock band all night long. My 17 month old daughter will play the drums. On an easy enough setting she can make it aboiut half way through a song before she fails. Granted she doesn't know what she's doing, but she's having fun.

Really, you can break a sweat on some of those games. I know when w're doing boxing we're always panting by the end of the fight.

Combine the two and create a Wii Brewing game.

"It's boiling over! Hit up, up, down, up, select, B! UP, UP DOWN, UP, SELECT, B!!!"

Combine the two and create a Wii Brewing game.

"It's boiling over! Hit up, up, down, up, select, B! UP, UP DOWN, UP, SELECT, B!!!"

oooooooo, I have leveled up to EAC! I can now equip the hop bag of awesomeness with +10 hop extraction and anti-foam abilities!

I like it :D

EDIT: Oh, to contribute, get the Wii. Even my wife who usually hates playing video games will get up and play Rayman. BTW Rayman and rayman 2 are freakin awesome just stupid get-together type games.

Try to find a game stop by you. The Ex bought her wii from there.

All used 'accessories' were buy three get one free. You might be able to find a used console as well.

B

if you want true home entertainment you should get a ps3. you can play much better games on it and watch blu rays in full 1080p HD. in addtion to that you can play movies, music from ps3's hard drive or from the network, you can also stream web content to it. its all in 1 home entertainment unit.

at my job we had a corporate wii olympics, it was fun but cheesy ;) open bar also helped

if you want true home entertainment you should get a ps3. you can play much better games on it and watch blu rays in full 1080p HD. in addtion to that you can play movies, music from ps3's hard drive or from the network, you can also stream web content to it. its all in 1 home entertainment unit.

at my job we had a corporate wii olympics, it was fun but cheesy ;) open bar also helped

I've got a Wii and a PS3. I had the PS3 for awhile before I got the wii, and I'll just say this: since we got the Wii, I haven't played anything on the PS3. It's NOT the same. Don't get me wrong, I love the PS3, I have logged many hours on the Orange Box and GTA IV, and the graphics are awesome! I use it all the time as my BD player, too. But there's a huge, huge difference between playing a game with your thumbs and playing a game with your whole body. I've never liked golf games before, but with Tiger Woods 09 on the Wii, you actually swing the remote like a club...and I'm freakin addicted! The graphics aren't as cool, no, but in terms of real-deal fun, it's pretty great. You really can't compare the two consoles, because it's a different concept. That, and, well, there are few things quite as cool as being able to download and play old NES games on my big Aquos for $5. :D

Wii Fit is the bomb! I use it my wife uses it and the kids use it. Fun way to actually get some exercise. I'd never even thought about doing Yoga before, with the Wii I enjoy it. The games are good too. Although I'm not much of a Gamer, when I do play one I'm amazed at the way these new game's are.

We also love our Wii. My wife really enjoyed the interactive nature of many of the games, I like the fact that I can play all of my old 8-bit games over again.

Wii is one of the few things you will never regret buying

i regret buying mine. After we bought ours, we joined gamefly and rented tons of games. Didn't really like any. Most were too cartoony. After the first couple of weeks, the new feeling of playing a game "with your whole body" got old. The games and graphics weren't enough to sustain the my playing of it for more than a few weeks. The only reason I don't sell it is because I'm holding out for a decent game or upgrade.

Now don't start thinking I don't play video games. I play the **** out of some Xbox 360. Halo 3, Cod 4 & 5, Rockband, tons of other games.

Get it.
More so to promote "family" activities.
Your kids will love it, you will love it, your wife will love it, the neighbors butler will love it, the farmer that provides the curd to the local market will even love it.

No brainer.
Dewit.

we have had one for a little over a year now an every time family comes over we end up starting it up and having tons of fun. Granted, i have been burned on some games I thought were going to be cool, but all-in-all, we love it.

We love our wii.. Im like you.. had more interst in a atari than a ps3.. lol.. but this thing is great.. My swmbo loves wii fit and mario party such games.. Imm more into the wiiware games that you download.. Ive been hooked on Dr. Mario playin online since the summer/..

Probably jumping in too late, but go for it!

My folks have it for when we all get together and it is super fun! although be careful, my kid had a nice black eye from me getting carried away and getting a little "too" into the competition of bowling.

Probably jumping in too late, but go for it!

My folks have it for when we all get together and it is super fun! although be careful, my kid had a nice black eye from me getting carried away and getting a little "too" into the competition of bowling.

HAHAHAHA
my girlfriend broke our fan and a window the first day we got it... and she didnt even get a STRIKE!!

I bought a Wii for my wife and I'm not happy with it at all. The titles are very lame and the graphics are about as good as PS2 and old Xbox. For the family I'm sure its great but I feel personally it lacks where I would like better performace. Lack of sports/action games and graphics ruins it for me.

Get it while you can. They are a hot seller right now. Your kids'll love it and it gets you active. I played it last time I visited my parents and it was a lot of fun.

My wife HATE'S video games. Kids only get one hour of technology a day, even on weekends. The original Grinch for game play. Age range is 16, 12, 10. Oh and two 'adults' loosely termed.

She REQUESTED a Wii Fit for her birthday and gets everyone involved and still keeps kids to only one hour of techno per day. The fact that using it works out more than a thumb convinced her it was a smashing idea.

Comparing a Wii to a PS3 is really apples and oranges.

The graphisc, processing power, etc on the PS3 will blow away the Wii. The Wii simply isn't that advanced of a system when it comes to the actual technical aspects. Hardcore gamers will much prefer the PS3.

The Wii, on the other hand, isn't even trying to compete in those areas. Their whole focus is on simple, active, fun games. Games that get you and the whole family off the couch and moving. Games that the WHOLE family can play, right down to the 2 or 3 year olds.

Halo would suck on a Wii, but Wii sports would be boring as hell with a PS3 controller.

If you are a gamer and into Halo, GTA, etc type games, you'll prefer PS3.

If you are not realy much of a gamer, and are just looking to have soem fun- especially if you have younger kids that you want to be able to play, Get the Wii. Get is now.

Now, if Sony were to come out wiht a motioin sensitive controller like the Wii has, I think theyd blow Wii right out of the market. The fun, active, Wii interface with the better graphics, processing power, etc of the PS# would be tough to turn down. (That and no longer having the "can't find that game anywehere ecause they intentionally produce them more slowly than they Sell" thing.)

we have a PS2 and the wii. I bought the PS2 for a DVD player + for the games. It is hardly ever used. Bought the Wii for the kids and while they play it, it is in spurts. Granted they are involved in sports, but they will play it non stop for a month then maybe (if lucky) once a month. I play it on occasion as well

Is it worth it? I dont know. I guess so. We got the kids Wii fit for xmas so we shall see

I agree with the "go outside and play" attitude, but I know sometimes that isn't feasible. If my (hypothetical) kids need to be in front of the TV, I would rather they play Wii than watch 90% of the **** on the tube. I think the Wii Fit option is an excellent way to keep active indoors. Even games like golf and bowling burn more calories than just watching TV. They're great while drinking beer as well...:mug:

Thanks everyone for all your responses!

Generally speaking, we do have a 'Go out and play' mentality. The best part is that I don't have to force them to go outside and play. The girls have a HUGE play set outside and everyday when they come home from daycare they run around back to go play on it. The wife & I also have a huge garden which takes a lot of work, and the girls like to help with it. So basically, when the weather's good, we're outside.

The downside, of course, is fall & winter. As of about a week and a half ago, its been too cold outside to do much. Last night we went real-life bowling and the girls had an awesome time.

We're def. getting a Wii. Thanks again, everyone, for your input.

Wii is a great family entertainment. All of you can (and should) play together.. it's better if the kids aren't glued to the Wii or the TV all day anyway but that shouldn't stop you from getting one. A few sessions with a game costs about as much as going to a movie, and is just as much or more fun as a family. Not to mention that you can rent games from a video store for the weekend!

I really haven't played it in a long time, but I am a WoW addict. That said, I think that you will really enjoy it. True, the graphics are not up to PS3 and Xbox standards, but they don't have to be.

There are lots of fun games out there, and even more for kids than the other systems. They also have more physical games, obviously.

Pro sports games are probably going to be better on the other systems, due to graphics, but I'd like to try throwing the football on a Wii. Seems like it would be more fun that way.

Be prepared to be surprised at how much of a workout you can get with the Wii, especially if you are crazy and add arm weights to the mix. I played tennis to start with and actually got sore from it!

get a used one... or see if there's a place that will rent you one for the weekend. we borrowed my brothers, and it was fun, but my daughter lost interest after a week...

edit: it also brought out a nasty competitive side to her that i'd not seen before. she hates to lose apparently...

I had a Wii and wasnt really happy with it. The graphics are a generation behind and the games pretty much suck. Maybe for a family with younger kids that want a current console without breaking the bank...but its not for me.

Thanks everyone for all your responses!

Generally speaking, we do have a 'Go out and play' mentality. The best part is that I don't have to force them to go outside and play. The girls have a HUGE play set outside and everyday when they come home from daycare they run around back to go play on it. The wife & I also have a huge garden which takes a lot of work, and the girls like to help with it. So basically, when the weather's good, we're outside.

The downside, of course, is fall & winter. As of about a week and a half ago, its been too cold outside to do much. Last night we went real-life bowling and the girls had an awesome time.

We're def. getting a Wii. Thanks again, everyone, for your input.

The wii bowling is bang on. I bowl exactly the same in RL as on the wii. My kids go through spurts of play. But after a year i can say its a great purchase. Two recommendations buy extra remotes and nunchuks you'll definitely want more than one. and spring for the charging station .

Living in the cold our family goes in spurts, very little in summer and about every weekend through the cold nights here in Michigan. How else are we going to golf, play baseball and tennis in February when it is -15 degrees outside. Worth every penny. And once or so a month through winter the so called "adults" get together on a Saturday, brew a batch, drink homebrew and play the Wii until the early morning. IN other words. . .

GO FOR IT!!

To everyone saying the graphics suck and the games are "lame"/ No Crap. The graphics are lame. The concept for the system is not based around the latest and greatest graphics, it's about the motion. Compare the prices to when each first came out. $400 for Xbox360, 6-700 for PS3, $250 for a Wii! Of course it's not a graphics power house. If you bought one and were disappointed in the graphics, then you made a stupid uneducated purchase. Research something more before you buy it next time.

I have a 360 and a Wii. The Wii gets played more for sure.SWMBO will actually play it. All 360 and PS3 games are geared toward the 300 lb 12 year old sitting alone in his room all night. they're all one player. Sure you're playing online with people, but you're still alone. The Wii encourages social and family activity. They both have their place but are completely different. We're getting a WiiFit for christmas instead of buying each other gifts this year.

We've had our Wii for a while now, and it still gets a regular workout.

Shortly after we bought it, my in-laws came over for a visit. Watching my then 5-year old play wii bowling with her grandparents was a treat. In fact, THEY went out and bought one for themselves!

While hard-core gamers may not have much love for the wii, as a family game system, it's tough to beat. SWMBO is big into the cutsey role-playing games (Animal Crossing and the like), and we're all having fun with Wii Music and the Mario Baseball game.

We'll have the whole family over for Thanksgiving, and I bet the wii gets as much or more attention than the football games.

I've got a Wii and a PS3. I had the PS3 for awhile before I got the wii, and I'll just say this: since we got the Wii, I haven't played anything on the PS3. It's NOT the same. Don't get me wrong, I love the PS3, I have logged many hours on the Orange Box and GTA IV, and the graphics are awesome! I use it all the time as my BD player, too. But there's a huge, huge difference between playing a game with your thumbs and playing a game with your whole body. I've never liked golf games before, but with Tiger Woods 09 on the Wii, you actually swing the remote like a club...and I'm freakin addicted! The graphics aren't as cool, no, but in terms of real-deal fun, it's pretty great. You really can't compare the two consoles, because it's a different concept. That, and, well, there are few things quite as cool as being able to download and play old NES games on my big Aquos for $5. :D

I own both also and they are on different ends of spectrum. I am visually stunned by PS3 (cant beat 1080p). I play Wii with my son, but PS3 for more violent shooter type games by myself. It is fun going back in time with downloadable nes, snes games. I have to say the online on the PS3 is way better however.

One thing that helped the 480p resolution on the wii was using a component cable vs the standard red, yellow, white hookup. It seemed to sharpen up edges and patterns on the wii. Look up comparisons online, for anybody interested.

Wii is a way more get the family involved system by all means.

My girlfriend got me a Wii in May of 07, and I can't even tell you how many hours we have logged on it. There has yet to be a complaint with the system. One of our remotes stopped working and a box was at our door with a replacement in under 5 business days.

Another yes vote here. We got ours on the release date and haven't regretted it one bit. My kids are 9,7,5 and 2 and they're something that they can all play on it. It gets them moving around and they have fun. Guitar Hero World tour with 2 of them on guitar, 1 on drums and 1 singing is so much fun that it's just ridiculous.

I'm an old school Nintendo guy though. I get every Nintendo hardware platform when it comes out so that I can play Mario, Metroid, Zelda, etc.

While hard-core gamers may not have much love for the wii, as a family game system, it's tough to beat. SWMBO is big into the cutsey role-playing games (Animal Crossing and the like), and we're all having fun with Wii Music and the Mario Baseball game.
QUOTE]

How is the Wii music? Looks interesting on the commercials. I really like the popularity of music in video games now-a-days. We have GH3 for 360 and rockband for 360. Wanna at least play wii music. Rockband is the best party game ever.:rockin:

Latest posts

Back