This might not be good

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gonefishing

Someday I'll stop procrastinating
Reaction score
Think I've got a CO2 leak.... main gauge is reading empty,and keg pressure gauge is down to 5 psi.The gauge was reading nearly full with a keg pressure of 15 when I put it in the fridge acouple of days ago and have drawn just one mug since then.Hadn't looked at it for 2days. I don't hav e a spare tank so I'm sure hoping they can fill mine tomorrow.... and that I even have the time to get there for them to do it.

I did add a second cornie to the fridge,and made a manifold to do it.I checked the manifold and its connections by pressurizing it while holding it in a bowl of star san, and checked the top of the new keg with star san also...no apparent bubbles anywhere.
I'm going to be driving by the welding supply shop that I use for my company's repair shop today so I'm going to stop in and see if they can rent me a full tank.

+1
time to break out the soapy bubbles...

Did you use teflon tape on your gas connections? Check EVERYTHING- from mount on CO2 tank, gauges, connections, keg seal, poppets, bleed valve. I had a poppet I just fixed where one of the three legs was a little flattened, causing it to not seal right. Real slow leak- bent it with pliers and good to go. Hope you find the issue!

I pressurized the kegs to 30lbs today and shut off the gas at the regulator,leaving the tank valve on.Then sprayed everything with star san. Didn't see any bubbling anywhere. After leaving it alone for about 6 hours I just went and turned the gas on again. Apparently one or both kegs still leaks because I could hear gas going for several seconds. I figure the problem has to be the keg I added the other day because the system hadn't lost any pressure during the week prior when the system was just one keg.
How much problem is the fluxuating pressure going to cause me?

A semi-related idea... why couldn't a pressure gauge be fitted to a gas-in fitting which you could leave on a pressurized keg to check its ability to hold a specific pressure for a period of time?

A semi-related idea... why couldn't a pressure gauge be fitted to a gas-in fitting which you could leave on a pressurized keg to check its ability to hold a specific pressure for a period of time?

There are simpler versions out there, but here is one:

bleeder.jpg

found here.

Espcially check the ruber o-rings and relief valves for seating, I have a tendancy to flip the oring every fill up to put the same amount of time on each side. Also if you use a little dish soap and water you can make your own leak detecter. Those corni's may have had a lot of time with pressure on them and need to flip the o-ring due to it flattening out.

I've had a leak at the QD connection to the gas tubing. solve with teflon tape that I shoulda used in the first place.

only leaked if the gas line had pressure on it...when the lid was closed. so when lid was open, I could never find the leak!

I had a problem spotting the leak on my gas in poppet (hard to see when you have a ball lock connection on there!). Glad I pressurize and check my kegs, would have sucked to rack into it start conditioning and carb it, unhook gas and wonder WTF?

I actually had a blue bucket with starsan in it (temporary barrel for utensils etc on brew day) that I pressurized the keg and set it in upside down. Few seconds of tilting to see which side it was coming from and bingo. One of the three poppet legs was slightly flattened- pliers, lil bending, no leak.

I found the leak! It was the clamp on the hose coming out of the regulator. Tiny bit of tightening and it has held pressure for a couple of days now. I'm a happier man now!

Congrats! Those hard to find leaks are always irksome. Glad you solved your issue!

Latest posts

Back