Dip Tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is the flange of a dip tube suoosed to be a bit rounded or flat? I've been having some problems with co2 passing through into the beer line when I pour beer. I read that that it should be flat.

Can any one post a photo of a properly functioning dip tube?

Thanks

As I'm away from my equipment, I can't say for sure, but it seems like mine are flat. I think this would matter less than the condition of the o-rings, though. I'd check those, and make sure your fittings are tightend down well.

Also if something is loose on the "out" side, I'd imagine it's air leaking into the beer line, not CO2. That's neither here nor there.....just sayin'. :D

Rounded, with a similar profile to the o-ring profile

dipgas_tm75.jpg

Looking at that pic, I realized my dip tube is less than half the length of yours. (Insert joke here) Should I buy another when I start kegging, or is the one I have fine?

There is a long one on the outlet and a short one on the inlet. The lenght on the inlet should make so diffrence. Makse sure your valves are tightened down all the way and you have the o rings in the correct position without pinching them thus distorting them so gas can pass by.
Are you sure you are not having a line/keging balancing issue?

No its aproblem with co2 escaping past the seal when pouring.

My dip tubes were bent like this when I bought the tanks used.

(--------------------

They should be like this?

)--------------------

The one I pouded flat is now like this: |----------------

Denny's Brew said:
No its aproblem with co2 escaping past the seal when pouring.

My dip tubes were bent like this when I bought the tanks used.

(--------------------

They should be like this?

)--------------------

The one I pouded flat is now like this: |----------------

Escaping past the seal? what do you mean?
The compressed gas in the head space is leaking past the o ring on the outlet dip tube therefore bypassing the bottom of the dip tube?

Yes. Some one on this forum had the same problem but it was his o-ring.

When you open the tap a slight bit of co2 passes the top of the diptube, oring and into the beerline thus mixing with and foaming the beer.

Flattening the dip tube and using a new o-ring solved the problem, though I am still wondering how excatly a new dip tubes flang looks as per my bad ascii diagram above..

Back