beer out disconnect wont lock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eddiebosox

Reaction score
just got a new keg kit and i cant seem to get the beer out disconnect to lock into place. It seems like its locked in but there's no pressure and it wont dispense beer.

If I push down insanely hard it will start to make a noise and then spurt out beer at the right pressure, so clearly its either not connecting, or the inside metal piece is broken (it feels fine when i push on it with my finger after I take it off to test).

this sucks as I have a party tomorrow and no way to get to the beer...

Could be that the poppet is either the wrong type, or is one of the "universal" ones that hasn't been trimmed to the proper height. How hard do you have to push on the poppet to get beer to squirt out?

Could be that the poppet is either the wrong type, or is one of the "universal" ones that hasn't been trimmed to the proper height. How hard do you have to push on the poppet to get beer to squirt out?

pretty damn hard. this was a complete kit from morebeer.

Replace the quick disconnect.

Maybe there's some obstruction in the keg dip tube.

its not that, since if i push hard enough it makes a wailing noise and shoots out beer at pressure. Plus i inverted and shot some c02 through the dip tube to be sure.

And just to be sure, you're lifting the collar on the QD up, pushing the QD onto the post fitting, and then the collar is sliding back down to lock it in place right?

Have you taken the poppet out and looked at it? What model of keg is it, and which of these poppets does it look most like?

Poppets%20-%205%20lineup.jpg

or is it a "universal" style without the feet, like this-

6028_1.jpg

Does beer shoot out of the post when you press on the poppet? Be careful not the spray beer everywhere. If yes, then the issue is probably with the disconnect. Someone posted recently that they had disconnect issues because a black o ring got improperly lodged during shipping.

it does. I jimmied it to push the release barb int eh disconnect out more, and it kinda works, but only if I dont have the hose attached. once i attach the hose and cobra tap (standard 5 foot that came with it) it doesn't come out. This is so odd.

universal. There are no legs. Here is a screenshot

http://imgur.com/rMRhoLN

rMRhoLN

That looks like the internals of the QD, I was talking about the keg poppet.

And just to be clear, what we're asking is if you remove the quick disconnect and push down on the keg poppet with a stick, screwdriver, etc, how hard do you have to push to get beer to spray out? If you have to push very hard, it's probably the wrong poppet for that keg post fitting.

Post fitting.jpg

i can push it down with my finger and get a spray of beer. the disconnect just isn't pushing down far enough on the poppet.

i can push it down with my finger and get a spray of beer. the disconnect just isn't pushing down far enough on the poppet.

And you're lifting the collar up on the QD before trying to push it on the post right? Does the collar lock down in place, or does it not even go that far on? If the collar is locking down in place but you're still not getting any flow, then it sounds like a defective QD. If you're having trouble getting the QD on all the way, maybe you need to use some keg lube on the post o-rings.

when i first started kegging I did not know that the "collar" of the disconnect was spring loaded. I tried pushing it onto the post with everything I had and nothing would flow out. I checked the poppet and it was fine, so I took a hammer to the top of the disconnect. Still nothing, so I kept hammering until the spring on the disconnect popped out. It was then I realized that lifting up on the collar of the disconnect let it slide right into place with no hassle.

And you're lifting the collar up on the QD before trying to push it on the post right?

goddamit! That was it! its flowing perfectly now! jeez, it didn't even say that in the directions! ugh i wish I knew that 3 hours ago before i bruised my hand pushing on that thing.

Thanks a lot for the help. You are a lifesaver.

goddamit! That was it! its flowing perfectly now! jeez, it didn't even say that in the directions! ugh i wish I knew that 3 hours ago before i bruised my hand pushing on that thing.

Thanks a lot for the help. You are a lifesaver.

Hah! Glad the beer is flowing now. Cheers! :mug:

Back