Kegs Cool and warm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgrier

Reaction score
I am getting ahead myself with the number of beers I can make and cornys I have..

I have 6 cornys and I only have room for 2 in my kegorator.

How much "damage" or spoilage would occur if I deciede to drink a different beer and rotate the kegs in and out of the kegorator?

I am working on getting more frig space.. but all in good time...
T

well as long as you have properly purged any air from the keg than you don't have to worry about oxidation, but moving around a lot will disturb anything that's settled on the bottom, and warming and cooling a few times can't be good. i think you'll just have to drink more!

I don't see any problem with it. I'm not sure I've seen any real evidence that warming and cooling cycles will really negatively affect beer, so I would not worry about that unless someone has some real evidence, rather than just speculation.

Bear in mind the energy costs however. Cooling a warm keg down to fridge temp takes quite a bit of energy, on top of what it already takes to keep it cold once it's chilled. I don't know exactly how much extra energy it takes, so it's hard to say if it's going to add much to your electric bill, but it's something to think about.

Not a problem. I kept most of my beer in a conditioning cabinet & rotated kegs. Now the cabinet is connected to the keezer, so I can change beers by moving connectors.

Funkenjaeger said:
I don't see any problem with it. I'm not sure I've seen any real evidence that warming and cooling cycles will really negatively affect beer, so I would not worry about that unless someone has some real evidence, rather than just speculation.

Don't know about homebrew, but hot-cold cycling will make a BMC taste worse. It's so prominent a taste that if some BMC in a party tub full of gets missed at cleanup and warms to room temp I put it into the trash instead of the fridge.

pldoolittle said:
Don't know about homebrew, but hot-cold cycling will make a BMC taste worse. It's so prominent a taste that if some BMC in a party tub full of gets missed at cleanup and warms to room temp I put it into the trash instead of the fridge.

Is that because they're lagers? I was wondering if that had something to do with BMC tasting so much worse than it does at the plant.

Back