Recipe (honey caramel blonde?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlowDrains

Reaction score
I was playing around on the beersmith trial came up with this recipe. I have only done 1 kit so far so im still getting the hang of everything. Have no idea how to build my own recipe yet. .8 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 1 0.7 %
0.8 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 2 0.7 %
0.5 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 0.4 %
1 lbs Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 4 14.0 %
6 lbs Pilsner Liquid Extract (3.5 SRM) Extract 5 84.2 %
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 40.0 min Hop 6 12.9 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 5.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
2.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)

Hmm, honestly that's not the worst thing I've ever seen for a first recipe with an admitted I have no idea what I'm doing statement. I take it your shooting for a pale ale or something along those lines? You on a good path but I think you are a bit heavy on the crystal malts (which honey is essentially one of) at 18% total. I'd cut those total down to 10% total.

Hop schedule isn't bad but for maximum bittering a 60 minute addition will get a bit more than the 40. I would check with your supplier to make sure they have Amarillo first and plan for a backup. An all cascade pale all is perfectly acceptable although something else would provide a bit more complexity. A dry hop addition wouldn't hurt either.

As for the yeast, I like that you have two packages listed making sure you have enough yeast to properly ferment the beer but for a cheaper and just as viable alternative for a hoppy pale ale I would just use the Safale US-05 11g dry packets. I don't typically use dry yeast but those are really solid and cheaper than two packages of liquid yeast.

Hmm, honestly that's not the worst thing I've ever seen for a first recipe with an admitted I have no idea what I'm doing statement. I take it your shooting for a pale ale or something along those lines? You on a good path but I think you are a bit heavy on the crystal malts (which honey is essentially one of) at 18% total. I'd cut those total down to 10% total.

Hop schedule isn't bad but for maximum bittering a 60 minute addition will get a bit more than the 40. I would check with your supplier to make sure they have Amarillo first and plan for a backup. An all cascade pale all is perfectly acceptable although something else would provide a bit more complexity. A dry hop addition wouldn't hurt either.

As for the yeast, I like that you have two packages listed making sure you have enough yeast to properly ferment the beer but for a cheaper and just as viable alternative for a hoppy pale ale I would just use the Safale US-05 11g dry packets. I don't typically use dry yeast but those are really solid and cheaper than two packages of liquid yeast.

What would you replace some of the crystal with? I was trying to keep the bitreness down on this one shooting for more of a honey caramel blonde type ale. Im not a huge fan of IPA but i will drink them occasionally

Back