First batch of caribou slobber, is looks a little off color to me

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmoney05

Reaction score
I shined a light on it earlier today since it really is pitch dark in this closet and it looked a little green. Is this how its supposed to look?. I know the temperature is a little low but it has been done fermenting for several days. I opened up the door to let it get back up into the 65-70 range.

photo-14.jpg

Is that extract or AG?

I did an AG recipe and it was darker than that.

But taste is the most important thing in the end. As long as it tastes good, who cares if it is off color a little bit?

Extract, and I was a little worried because it took forever to get to a boil

I'm having trouble getting the lid to secure tightly on my primary bucket from NB.

First time brewing a 5 gal batch and I wanted to make sure the lid being loose will not cause any issues.

Thanks.

I brewed this 3 weeks ago, had trouble getting it up to 170° on my stove. It was blacker than night when it finally did. Haven't bottled yet, but I don't expect much change. I finished brewing with a burner, no more problems.

Ive brewed it. Mine was actually very dark, almost porter-ish and too dark for the target color. I also did the extract. It was still really good.

I'm having trouble getting the lid to secure tightly on my primary bucket from NB.

First time brewing a 5 gal batch and I wanted to make sure the lid being loose will not cause any issues.

Thanks.

This shouldnt be a problem. the krausen will release enough CO2 to rest on top of the beer creating an invisible shield from equipment failure. I actually brewed a pale ale last year without the lid on it to see how it turned out, and it was awesome.

I brewed this 3 weeks ago, had trouble getting it up to 170° on my stove. It was blacker than night when it finally did. Haven't bottled yet, but I don't expect much change. I finished brewing with a burner, no more problems.

Mine was much darker than the one shown on the NB video for this beer too. Mine too was almost black but it tastes damn good!

well i'm going to order a burner next week and hopefully that solves my boiling issue. I'm going to keg this stuff next week and let it sit there at 10psi in the fridge for another 2 weeks and then give it a test.

The suspended yeast and other stuff will drop out and the beer will darken. Like mixing talc in black coffee: it will look light until the talc settles. Slobbers and imperials can all do their own thing in the fermenter so just give it time and it will be fine.

bosco

it actually has darkened up quite a bit, i'm assuming that is exactly what happened

Back