American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
whats the longest anyone has had to wait before it started to ferment..

@ 14 hours here.. I just sprinkled it on top.. didnt mix it, and it hasnt taken off yet..

not worried.. just wondering.

Well Ed I think I'm going to follow suit and brew your pale for my first AG. When I first found HBtalk the first recipe I did from the site was your applewein so why not a AG pale ale :)

Cheers,

newguy said:
Well Ed I think I'm going to follow suit and brew your pale for my first AG. When I first found HBtalk the first recipe I did from the site was your applewein so why not a AG pale ale :)Cheers,

Thanks! I feel honored that so many are popping their AG cherry with my Haus Pale Ale. Not to worry, it's a gentle beer. :D

aekdbbop said:
whats the longest anyone has had to wait before it started to ferment.. @ 14 hours here.. I just sprinkled it on top.. didnt mix it, and it hasnt taken off yet.. not worried.. just wondering.

Should be going by now. Most of mine, I finish late in the afternoon and by morning they are cranking.

My last batch, my recirculating chiller worked so well as I brought it down to 66 degrees, I pitched the hydrated yeast into my 2 buckets and put them in the chest freezer with the temp set to 65. Next morning they were going gangbusters.

I'm giving your Haus Pale Ale a go tomorrow Ed for my first All Grain brew as well! I'm hopeful that this turns out as good as the one in the pic you posted looks!! Thanks for sharing!

EdWort said:
Thanks! I feel honored that so many are popping their AG cherry with my Haus Pale Ale. Not to worry, it's a gentle beer. :D

Well Ed I'm a fan of Cascade in moderation. :) your recipe looks simple, single infusion. I'm going to increase simplicity and batch sparge. Honestly I'm more a fan of English beers, but a while back at my buddies house (the guy who showed me how to home-brew)He had a very fine American pale ale using cascade hops. I thought it might be fun to try out this style again.

I'll be picking up my grain bill on Tues and hopefully brewing this up at the end of the month for my birthday!

Cheers,

Like a lot of others, I decided to try my first all grain with your recipe. It's currently fermenting away. Thanks!

Mine is bubbling furiously this morning as well! Thanks a ton Ed! I can't believe how good this tasted pre-fermentation!!!

Since I am not kegging and can't crash cool, should I let this clear in a secondary after primary is done?

jacobyhale said:
Mine is bubbling furiously this morning as well! Thanks a ton Ed! I can't believe how good this tasted pre-fermentation!!!

Since I am not kegging and can't crash cool, should I let this clear in a secondary after primary is done?

If you want. I would leave it on the yeast for at least 10 days if you are going to do that and be very carefull with your sanitation. Secondaries add a second chance at infection IMHO.

jacobyhale said:
So better off probably just going straight from Primary to Bottles?

If it's pretty clear, then go ahead. Just don't rouse the yeast up too much.

I ferment in buckets with spigots, so I never get to see my beer ferment, much less clear. I just dropped the temp in my fermenter to 39 degrees on my last batch that was fermenting 9 days at 65 degrees. I'm experimenting with temps.

Yeah, I am probably coming into a free IceCream cooler from work. So hopefully I'll have some temp control possibilities for my next batch! What do you use for cold conditioning?

Well went and got my grain bill and hops today. Was wondering Ed have you ever tried this recipe with Safale US-05? Was wondering I always keep plenty of Nottingham's on supply but I've been hearing some good things about these dry Safale yeasts. A friend really like the Us-05 in his American pale so I thought about maybe trying it. I picked a couple up from the LHBS to try them out. Oh also a packet of the Safale lager yeast as well. :) All-grain = Awesome pilsner!!

Ed, anyone,? with any experience with this yeast in this recipe?

Hey Ed!
My first all grain will be this Saturday night and I am pretty sure Ed's Haus Pale Ale is an HBT required first all grain. The Apfelwein was great (drunk :drunk: about 8 gallons so far) so why not. :mug:

So far this year I have made a bunch of extract beer with steeping grains. the last 5 batches have been partial mashes with a little extract added. Time for all grain. Thanks Ed and all you other HBT dudes. I have learned a lot... You can't learn this stuff from the LHBS. :cool:

newguy said:
Well went and got my grain bill and hops today. Was wondering Ed have you ever tried this recipe with Safale US-05? Was wondering I always keep plenty of Nottingham's on supply but I've been hearing some good things about these dry Safale yeasts. A friend really like the Us-05 in his American pale so I thought about maybe trying it. I picked a couple up from the LHBS to try them out. Oh also a packet of the Safale lager yeast as well. :) All-grain = Awesome pilsner!!

Ed, anyone,? with any experience with this yeast in this recipe?

I think Yooper made with with Safale-05 and I have 5 gallons in a keg made with Safale-05, but I have not yet tried it. It's waiting for the nottingham keg to finish. I think Yooper really liked it with Safale-05 though.

ok well I think I'm going to give it a shot. I'll make sure to post some pics of the fun! Thanks again Ed!

Cheers.

Ed,

Put me on the list of AG virgins starting with your recipe. Unfortunately my LHBS did not have Cascades (supposedly due to the great hops crisis) but recommended all amarillo. I like hoppy beers, so hopefully this won't be overkill.

Webbie.

webbie99 said:
Ed,

Put me on the list of AG virgins starting with your recipe. Unfortunately my LHBS did not have Cascades (supposedly due to the great hops crisis) but recommended all amarillo. I like hoppy beers, so hopefully this won't be overkill.

Webbie.

Keep the IBUs in range, and you will be fine. Good luck!

webbie99 said:
Ed,

Webbie.

Same here. I was able to borrow 3oz of Cascade from the brewpub :mug:

Brewed this for the first time several weeks ago and took the first sample from the keg tonight. WOW! This is great - one of the best tasting beers I've ever brewed. I'm going to go ahead and brew this again now because this won't last long at all! Thanks Ed for the great recipe!

Lil' Sparky said:
Brewed this for the first time several weeks ago and took the first sample from the keg tonight. WOW! This is great - one of the best tasting beers I've ever brewed. I'm going to go ahead and brew this again now because this won't last long at all! Thanks Ed for the great recipe!

Cool. Glad you like it. I try to keep 10 gallons in reserve all the time.

Wow! That fermented quick. First all grain batch and think this recipe is required for HBT members first all grain. Pitched yeast Sunday morning around 6 a.m. (yeah, an all nighter) and now Tuesday evening it is no longer bubbling. I tapped my lid to make sure it was still airtight and got a couple bubbles and the thingy in the airlock slowly rose back up to the top. I am still going to let it finish for two full weeks. :D

This beer just took my AG virginity too.
Missed the target temp and overthinned the mash correcting, but magically it seems okay anyway. Smelled great going into the fermentor, 3h lagtime. Can't wait.

Hey Ed, I'm making this today w/ centennial hops with an AA% of 9.6%....how much should I adjust the amount of hops I use to compensate for the difference in AA%?

Is there a linky around here that will help do this for me?

todd_k said:
Hey Ed, I'm making this today w/ centennial hops with an AA% of 9.6%....how much should I adjust the amount of hops I use to compensate for the difference in AA%?

Is there a linky around here that will help do this for me?

I'd cut back each addition by about a 3rd, so for 5 gallons it would be.

20g at 60
10g at 30
5g at 15
5g at 5

I hope you have a scale that measures in grams.

it's that easy, huh? What about dry hopping? I don't see that in the original recipe but do you do it?

this one is in the books, pitched the yeast about 5 hours ago. Everything went smooth....

Noob question. So if I want to mash at 152 like in the recipe what temp should my strike water be in order to hit 152?

BuffaloSabresBrewer said:
Noob question. So if I want to mash at 152 like in the recipe what temp should my strike water be in order to hit 152?

Only your system will tell you.

I started out by heating my mash tun and then using a calculator for my strike temperature and it was ALWAYS off by between 6-10 degrees. Then I switched to the overheating method and have had great success.

What I mean by overheating is that I overheat the strike water to not only account for the temperature of the grain, but also the cooling effects of the mash tun (cooler). Now I can hit any temperature I want at any given time with my same system. As long as no variables change, I'm good.

For example, if I want to hit 154 on MY system, I overheat to 183. How do I know this? Because I've tested MY system and this is what MY system does. On a side note, I MAY keep my house a bit coooooool...

So go test your system and see what it does, but expect at least a 15 degree drop and maybe a 25+ degree drop. The worst case scenario will be you heating more strike water or boiling a part of your mash (welcome to decoction). At least you'll know what to expect from that point on.

:mug:

Yep. Test Spikes method. I use a cooler as a MLT and I preheat it for 10-15 minutes with hot tap water. The calc tool then hits my numbers every time. You need to know the temp of your grain though.

Thanks thats an awesome calculator. Brew day is tomorrow so I'll update with my progress tomorrow. SWMBO is assisting with the first AG. She loves to brew almost as much as I do. I'll post pictures tomorrow.

Hey Ed,

Was wondering if you ever got to that keg of yours with the Safale US-05? I'm going to be brewing up your pale on Saturday. I'm still planning on using the Safale yeast was just wondering what you thought of the differences having brewed both. I have Nottingham's on hand as well.

Really looking forward to my first AG!

Cheers,

newguy said:
Hey Ed,

Was wondering if you ever got to that keg of yours with the Safale US-05? I'm going to be brewing up your pale on Saturday. I'm still planning on using the Safale yeast was just wondering what you thought of the differences having brewed both. I have Nottingham's on hand as well.

Really looking forward to my first AG!

Cheers,

I don't know yet. I have yet to tap it, but I'm sure it will be just as tasty as others that have used it have pointed out.

Lil' Sparky said:
I know the Q was for Ed, but I did mine with S-05 and it turned out GREAT!!!

Sweet thanks Sparky and Ed. Yeah I was just wondering from someone who has done the brew with Nottingham's and with the Safale. I have no doubt it will be great!

I think I'm going to go ahead and stick with the Safale. I've never used any of the Safale yeasts before so it should be nice to see what flavor profile it gives!

I plan to take some pics, should be an interesting. Weather is not looking that great, but I've brewed when it was raining and snowing. I'm dedicated!

Cheers,

Anyone aware of a DME version of this recipe? I am not quite to the AG stage yet, but would really like to make a batch of Ed's Haus.

Hello!

I've been searching for a while for a suitable method and a recipe with which to take the plunge into all grain brewing.
Your recipe and the batch mashing method seems perfect!
It looks like something I can do, and the beer looks delicious!

However, as I live in Norway I have a problem with the ingredients.

Nobody sells malt with the name 2 Row here. Is this the same as Pilsner or Pale malt? The shop I intend to use sells Pilsner and Pale malt from Muntons and Pilsner malt from Castle Malting. Can anyone tell which of these will be the closest substitution?

The Vienna they don't have at all, but I noticed you suggested someone else they could substitute with Munchener, which they have.

The Crystal they have, as well as the right hops and yeast.

With all the substitutions it might end up as a totally different beer, but hopefully a good one:mug:

regards,
beefeater

Back