Real cider simulated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

816North

Reaction score
Its a bit expensive for me to find local unpasterized cider. The plain stuff at the store is far cheaper. However, it's a biologically inert product. So I'm thinking of simulating the Real Cider by obtaining a few pounds of apples and juicing them myself and adding the presumably wild yeast filled juice to the store juice to ferment.

Could it be that simple?

What variety of apples would add a nice Real Cider flavor to the finished product?

it's that simple. as long as the store stuff doesn't have preservatives such as potassium sorbate. juice from the juicer will ferment quite happily on its own, you might want to add a campden tablet / potasium metabisulfite, read up on basic cidermaking if you wonder why.
as for the apples, search around the forum, everyone has their preferred varieties. there is an awful lot of information in this thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/results-juice-yeast-sugar-experiments-83060/
i don't know what exactly you mean by "the Real Cider" so it's hard to say, but a standard strategy for a well rounded cider is to go for a majority of sweet apples (for fermentables), which usually don't bring that much flavor, your supermarket stuff will do for the sweet apples so maybe just concentrate on the other types: sharp apples for acidity, think of any tart apples like granny smith with their malic acid punch, and bitter or bittersweet for tannin and body, but tannin-rich cider apples are usually impossible to find unless you happen to have a tree that produces them, in which case they quite literally grow on trees. you can substitute a small amount of ripe crabapples for the bitters. so a starting guess would be 85% supermarket, 10% sour/tart/granny smith and ~5% (or less, depending on how bitter they are) grape-sized or prune-sized crabapples.

if you can't get you hands on real cider I would use 100% apple juice from concentrate.
I put together my own recipe I used 4 gallons of cider, 3 cans of white grape concentrate then boiled down 4 pounds of cleaned and pealed red delicious 5pounds of pumpkin pealed and cleaned then added 5 cups of sugar all spice, cinnamon sticks and cloves got my starting SG @ 1,100
I like my hooch hot. I plan to rack it until its clear and bottle it in beer bottles.

What I speak about real cider, what I mean is the cider that is allowed to ferment naturally without the introduction of any artificial yeast. I've made it before with just a plain old supermarket cider and safale s-04. But wanted to try something new. So I probably didn't phrase my question very well. I was hoping to take store boughten apples that I had crushed and use the yeast on the skins to inoculate the pasteurized cider. Thus fermenting the juice without using any commercial yeast. So I'm curious if anyone is aware of anyone that tried this. My concern is that there won't be enough wild yeast on the store boughten apples and the lag time will be to great and give opportunity for other organisms to grow.

get some apples that aren't boughtenned from a supermarket! is there a farmer's market or an orchard nearby? or can you go to a hippy/organic store where the apples aren't shipped from new zealand, sitting in a fridge for 6 months and waxed and polished? or do you have a friend of a friend who has a tree in their yard? if you can just get some fresh apples, get that juice fermenting, add in your supermarket juice, boom.

if you can't get you hands on real cider I would use 100% apple juice from concentrate.
I put together my own recipe I used 4 gallons of cider, 3 cans of white grape concentrate then boiled down 4 pounds of cleaned and pealed red delicious 5pounds of pumpkin pealed and cleaned then added 5 cups of sugar all spice, cinnamon sticks and cloves got my starting SG @ 1,100
I like my hooch hot. I plan to rack it until its clear and bottle it in beer bottles.

ummmm.. what the hell are you making?? white grape baked apple pumpkin spiced swift kick in the crotch and then barf hooch? sounds horrid!! hey to each their own, as long as you enjoy it, cheers!

Back