Best naval bases?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtd6628

Reaction score
Hello so I have been spending the last month prepping myself mentally and physically for both the ASVAB and boot camp. Now I am to the point where I need some advice on what should be on my dream sheet as far as bases go. To tell you about myself I am a single 26 year old and have lived on the east coast of NC my whole life so I would prefer a change. I am no party animal and never have been, I obviously love the beach and water and outdoor activities. I have never traveled before out side of southern USA and would not mind a base outside continental USA at all. Also don't forget I love really really good beer. Can't wait to hear from active and retired seamen alike. Thanks in advance.

I was in the stupid army for a 4 year tour. Did most my time in the mohave desert. However, I used to go T.D.Y. to many other bases to fix thier antiquated useless crap. A couple times I went to a navy base to fix some trucks for an army E.O.D. Unit that was stationed on a navy base called "Point Loma" this was by far the best base out of all of them. This was 18 years ago.

HopSpunge said:
I was in the stupid army for a 4 year tour. Did most my time in the mohave desert. However, I used to go T.D.Y. to many other bases to fix thier antiquated useless crap. A couple times I went to a navy base to fix some trucks for an army E.O.D. Unit that was stationed on a navy base called "Point Loma" this was by far the best base out of all of them. This was 18 years ago.

Thanks for your thoughts hopspunge anyone else care to share their opinion on the topic?

Hard to beat San Diego (Point Loma and Coronado) , but there's not much chance unless you are a Squid or a Zoomie. Other than Antiqua (closed) and Guam (BORING), I wasn't overseas.

I've been stationed on Naval Station Everett Wa since 05.

This base absolutely kicks ass. And the Microbrew scene in the PNW is fantastic.

Not the answer you want, but if I were you I would join the AF.

And because it's this weekend...go Air Force, sink Navy

San Diego is nice. Can't beat the weather.

I was stationed in Japan for 2 years. That was pretty cool. You'll definitely get underway. Not much for craft brew though.

I've heard that Washington state is a good duty station.

What rate did you pick? That will help determine your choices.

fishsniffer said:
I've been stationed on Naval Station Everett Wa since 05.

This base absolutely kicks ass. And the Microbrew scene in the PNW is fantastic.

I would say from who I have been talking to and the research I have done Everett wa would be my pick if I had one

PapsD said:
San Diego is nice. Can't beat the weather.

I was stationed in Japan for 2 years. That was pretty cool. You'll definitely get underway. Not much for craft brew though.

I've heard that Washington state is a good duty station.

What rate did you pick? That will help determine your choices.

I have not taken the ASVAB yet. I would prefer Quartermaster and I know the ASVAB score I need to be qualified for it, I have been scoring high enough on the practice test so it is just a matter of taking the real thing passing MEPs and waiting for there to be a job opening.

FWIW, I was stationed at NWC China Lake (Ridgecrest, CA) in the early nineties and loved it. Not much there really other than the base and a small town but Sierra Nevadas are an hours drive one way and LA about two hours the other way. Had some really good times there back in the day

I would say from who I have been talking to and the research I have done Everett wa would be my pick if I had one

The outdoor life and Beer scene is a good one.

There are few ships to pick from though as only 6 are homeported here. The motto of Naval Station Everett is "The Sailors Choice".

If you do get the chance, it really is fun out here. Sure, the weather sucks (rain), but if you can find your way around that, the outdoor life is phenomenal. From 4 wheeling, to hiking, to shooting, to camping, to mountain climbing, rafting, kayaking, fishing, we have it all. The bonus is all these things are close to base.

If you are very interested, let me know and I can tell you more. I'm 13 year Navy been stationed in Everett since 05 and would love to give a new squid some advice.

If you're looking for someplace overseas but don't want to leave the country I'd recommend Pearl Harbor, plenty of ships there. Beaches, hiking, surfing, fishing and perfect weather 12 months out of the year (by a mainlander's point of view, the locals think 60 is freezing!) not to mention many beautiful girls. Really can't go wrong with paradise. The home brew scene exist, there's at least one home brew club that I know of, probably more. Anybody who gets bored is doing something wrong. Kuaii also has a Naval base. Also another thing nice about anywhere overseas is COLA (cost of living allowance)

Out of the country. There's Sigonella Sicily. White sandy beaches and some hiking. Don't know anything about the craft brew scene. I've only passed through a few times but it looks pretty nice. I have a few friends stationed there and they enjoy it. If you want to travel Europe on your leave good oportunity. I personally wouldn't put it at the top of my list.

Yokosuka, Japan has a Naval Base. Japan is okay. They do have beaches and hiking. If you happen to get stationed there you have to climb Mount Fuji. There is another base I know of in Sasebo Japan.. It's been 25 years ago but I would not step foot back at that place. Not much there to do.

Cubi Point in the Phillipines was a place to beat all other bases but it has long ago closed up. Much different Navy and world back then...

As said above San Diego and surrounding area very nice. There's a lot of outdoor stuff to do and the weather is beautiful all year long.

Best of luck in your Navy career!

I'd say Everett for a Quatermaster who likes craft brew.

San Diego is nice but the base is huge.

Don't let them fool you a Quatermaster is gonna be on a ship; it's an underway rate. But if you pick overseas go with Japan. I haven't heard anything bad about Gaum or Sicily but I haven't heard anything good either. COLA isn't what it once was but if you pick overseas you'll get it and if you make the navy your career it looks good if you do an overseas tour. Atleast that's the way it was when I was in.

My Navy buddies liked their stations in Italy and San Diego. We have a huge Naval Air Station here in Jacksonville, FL. It's not a bad town to live in.

Back