New Cider Maker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vox

Reaction score
Hey all. I'm new to cider making, but have loved enjoying the apple goodness for years. I have read MANY forums, sited, and even bought the highest rayed cider book. I have a five gallon brew set and I just got a 3 gallon carboy. I was wondering if anyone had some good, detailed recipe suggestions for a newbie using the five or 3 gallon equipment listed. I've read that you can make a simple, but good cider with 365 organic cider from Whole Foods and some dry champagne or ale yeast or White Labs English Cider Yeast. I would like a bit more in detail regarding the procedure and measurements.
Do I need to boil and prepare the yeast? How much yeast and cider for 6.5 gallon buckets or 3 gallon carboy? Do I just pour the cider into the bucket or carboy, pour the yeast in, cap it with an airlock til it stops bubbling? Do I need to siphon off into a secondary fermentor? Do I need priming sugar or anything special when I bottle?
I basically want a somewhat simple and delicious cider , but find many recipes and posts don't list/assume you know the standard procedures, measurements, and temperatures. I know some things are up to preference, but I have yet to find detailed info on a simple, yet good cider for five or 3 galllon batches. Thank you in advance and forgive my neebie-ness.

I am also new to cider making and I am using the above link to brew my first batch. Except I am using brown sugar. Its simple recipe, goes together really fast.

Vox said:
Do I need to boil and prepare the yeast?

That'd be be a good way to kill those puppies off.

Preparing them in 90f water is what seems recommended for dry yeast. Yeast that comes wet like English Labs is a bit different. For those you typically just leave them out for a couple hours at room temps and follow any other instructions on the package.

As for recipes, you can follow one of these or just be wild and crazy and just make something up. After all, you only really need apple juice, some yeast and some clean equipment. From there modifying is easy.

Just a tip though if you add any additional sugars, mix the shart out of the batch before you measure the sg. My first batch was a bit stronger than anticipated because I was afraid to disturb it long before fermentation was even an issue.

I made the apfelwein per the link you put on my post. 5 gallons of cider, two lbs of dextrose, and yeast in a six gallon carboy. Someone on the forum just told me I can't have only five gallons in a six gallon carboy as it needs to be filled up to the neck for minimal surface to air something or other. Is this necessary or preferred? If I add another gallon of juice, do I need to add more dextrose or yeast? Thank you.

Vox, the idea is you don't want oxygen sitting on it. This usually applies to secondary and on since there isn't too much co2 produced.

Use sanitized marbles to displace enough liquid and push it up to where you want it.

just to add to the above post, if you ferment in the big carboy, that's fine. there's oxygen to help the fermentation and eventually it's replaced by CO2 which is essentially inert and fills the large headspace. you can leave it there for a while, no problem. no danger of oxidation if there's no oxygen. if you get rid of that CO2 then the cider is vulnerable to oxidation. so if you rack it to another carboy then make sure you fill it to the top. you can always just add a bit more juice, it will ferment out and you won't know the difference. or add marbles or whatever. you don't have to be 100% anal, a tiny bit of air isn't going to kill the cider, just best to be aware of the danger and do what's practical to minimize the air exposure after fermentation is done.

I recently made a cider with some juice from Fresh Market (similar to Whole Foods). I dumped in 5 gallons of juice and a smack pack of Wyeast 3711 French Saison yeast. It's pretty great. Rather dry, with a tart finish - similar flavor to champagne, but with more of an apple flavor. Very refreshing. Everyone who's tried it loves it - and it didn't take a ton of aging time either. I was drinking it 6-8 weeks after pitching the yeast.

I planned on just keeping it in the carboy for a few months, then bottling. No secondary. The link doesn't say how long to then age it in the bottles. I don't mind adding another gallon of juice if that won't harm it any. But if its fine as is, I will leave it that way.

Also, does the carboy need to be kept in a dark area or does it not matter for cider?

imo, leaving it alone for a while is almost always a great strategy. cider making is perfect for the procrastinator. bottle it when it's clear enough, drink it when it tastes good enough. i keep mine out of any direct sunlight, rare as it is in this part of the world, but don't make any special effort to cover it.

The airlock isn't bubbling today, only five days after I made the batch. It was bubbling yesterday. Should I be concerned?

Airlock activity, or lack there of, can mean so many different things. If you want to know if it is doing anything, you have to take SG readings with your hydrometer. It's also a good time to see how it tastes ;)

Just checked my batch Sunday. It's just over 1 sg after 4 weeks. Should I still leave it as is or bottle it once the sg stays the same for a couple of days? It was pretty strong. I called it appleshine. Attempted to add fresh cider to the sample, but it just tasted like watered down appleshine.

If it's stable for a few days it's most likely ready to bottle. Then let it sit for a few months to clear and mellow (or as long as you can force yourself to wait) and give it a taste.

If your not sure if it's ready, leave it a bit longer - if there is yeast and sugar remaining in the primary and you bottle it, you could make some might fine bombs.

If it's stable for a few days it's most likely ready to bottle. Then let it sit for a few months to clear and mellow (or as long as you can force yourself to wait) and give it a taste.

If your not sure if it's ready, leave it a bit longer - if there is yeast and sugar remaining in the primary and you bottle it, you could make some might fine bombs.

I find it preferable to let it clear before bottling.

Will it clear in the primary? Directions don't say this needs to be racked to a secondary.

Yes, it will clear in the primary. However, if you don't rack to a secondary, it is likely that (apart from filtration) you would stir up the sediment on the bottom of the primary.

If that stuff gets into your cider, it tastes bitter or will even possibly contribute other off flavors.

The main purpose of racking, two, three or even four times is to reduce yeast and other particulates in suspension.

Latest posts

Back