Banjo KAB5 versus SP1 Jet Burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingers

Reaction score
In my ongoing search for a reasonably priced Banjo, I ran across this. They recommend the Jet Burner for large pots. Has anyone tried this burner? What are the pros and cons? I realize this Banjo is advertised with a 20 psi regulator instead of the 30 psi and I wonder if that's the difference between it and the Jet Burner. I also wonder if the Jet Burner is capable of keeping the pot at a simmer.

Bayou Classic Model KAB5 - Banjo Cooker With Hose Guard

10" cast iron burner

17" large cooking surface

Designed to support large cooking pots

48" stainless braided hose

20 PSI preset regulator with brass control valve

Approximately 100,000 BTUs/hr

Note: This burner is not the same as the previous model, KAB4. It uses a lower pressure regulator and will not bring large pots of water to a boil in a reasonable amount of time. The SP1 Jet Burner is best suited for that purpose. This burner is best suited for cooking Jambalaya, etc. It is not intended for use in boiling large pots of seafood.

I hav the banjo classic and love it. I can keep my 10-gallon brews at a nice gentle boil with the gas turned down pretty low. Never any problems with wind and....uh...I forgot what I was just gonna say...

hmmmm...lemme think...nope...I got nothin

This one...which ever one this is...again...brain farting in progess.

Banjo_Burner.jpg

I can't really tell from that picture. You have the KAB4 burner, but it's the regulator that determines the pressure.

In any case, I'll likely buy the KAB5 with the 30 psi. The only difference in the KAB4 and KAB5 is that the newer KAB5 has a single piece frame and a cover over the regulator input. If you can do 10 gallons easily with yours, it should work for me even with 15 gallon batches.

Fingers-
You ever end up getting that burner? How'd it do with the 20 PSI reg? I just bought 2 banjos and am currently fitting them into my rig. Plumbing the propane is taking a while, and I wonder if that 20 PSI reg will be enough.

When I need another burner, I'll buy the KAB5 and upgrade the regulator. My KAB4 just keeps things cooking nicely and can crank if needed.

YeeeHaaa!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry Ed-

I'm at work....I really want to show my buddy your video too! I don't think he gets how frickin' monstrous those burners are! As posted in my build thread, I'm using a wood stand....and I'd like to avoid scorching wort/ melting ball valve handles. I wonder though...a 30 PSI reg may be necessary to run both banjos at the same time.

ScubaSteve said:
Fingers-
You ever end up getting that burner? How'd it do with the 20 PSI reg? I just bought 2 banjos and am currently fitting them into my rig. Plumbing the propane is taking a while, and I wonder if that 20 PSI reg will be enough.

I ordered one but that was only last Friday. Haven't got it yet. I have a nice big bag of grains waiting, and I'm hoping to be able to mash them next weekend. I'll let you know how it goes, but keep in mind that I've never used the KAB4 so I have no reference.

Man, you're gonna be surprised when you open that box. The pictures do it no justice.:rockin: I'm just now getting to the point where I can walk into my garage and not look like this::eek:

I've used the KAB4 for a years now. I started with a 7 gal boil kettle, moved up to a 15.5 keg, and recently upgraded to a 30 gal kettle. It takes a little longer to bring 25 gals to a boil, but that burner kicks butt. One question for everyone, what is the optimum flame to pot height? I heard that the hottest part of the flame is the tip. Did anyone experiment with raising the pot height? Just curious. Thanks, Russ

I have seen a few places on the forum where people are unsure if the KAB4 is still available. I looked all over the web and found several places that say they are selling the KAB4, but the picture is of a KAB5. I ended up buying one I was pretty sure was a KAB4. I received it a few days ago and it is a KAB4 with the 30psi regulator. Here is a link to there site if anyone is interested. They are approx $85.00 delivered.

Restaurant Equipment and Supply Search

I have the KAB5 it it works great. My only complaint is how much gas I go through. I end up using almost 3/4 of a 20lb tank to do a 10 gal batch. I wonder if that is normal.

Back