GFCI and etc.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aperk

Reaction score
I am putting together an electric rig. Mostly, I am following Kal's beautifully documented example. Although, my initial conditions are a little different. I have a 120/240V outlet that my range is using, which I plan to use. The breaker seems to indicate that I have 40 amps available, despite the outlet being a 50 amp.

My first question: this is just a breaker in the picture, right, not a GFCI?

Assuming that it is not a GFCI, where would I get a 40 amp one? Most seem to only be 30 amp. Just use one for a spa? How are spa panels different? Do they support 4 wire? Is ok to oversize a GFCI? How would I test a GFCI?

Also, do you put GCFI in the control box typically?

I know this is a lot of questions :eek: Thanks for reading :mug:

breaker small pic.jpg

That breaker does not appear to be a GFI.
The outlet being rated for 50a just means that it is oversized for the application, the important thing is the rating of the breaker and the gauge of wire between the two.

You can either replace this breaker with a gfi breaker which can be purchased at home deopt or similar store, or you can wire a spa panel between the range outlet and your control panel, you don't need both. If you are using the GFI ONLY as protection from current leakage than it would be okay to oversize it, it would just not protect the wiring from current overdraw.

As for testing GFIs typically have a test button on them...

And you could put a GFI in the control panel if you like, there is no reason to do so if you are using a GFI breaker or spa panel.

Hope that helps

Assuming that it is not a GFCI, where would I get a 40 amp one? Most seem to only be 30 amp.

i found this seimens 40A gfci breaker (not sure if it's the EXACT kind for your panel) on ebay.

Unfortunately it's $170 (+$4 shipping).

http://cgi.ebay.com/SIEMENS-Circuit-Breaker-QF240-GFCI-QPF-Ground-Fault-40A-/200582736465?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item2eb3a9aa51

edit: your breaker says "type QP". the one on ebay is type "QPF". I think a QPF is a QP format for ground fault protection. Do not take my word on this, though.

Thanks for the replies.

Now that I know I need a GFCI. I have one more dilemma. I live in an apartment; I'm not a home owner. :( Do I put the GFCI all the way upstream in the breaker box or do I settle for putting it the control panel.

My fear about installing it in the breaker box is that there is no main switch, and I would probably be violating some lease BS. So, I would have to get a electrician who wouldn't mind do that.

Sounds like you should make a cable with a stove plug end, run to a spa box with a gfci, then to your kal clone.

One more thought, get one of those xerox gfci cables and replace the plug with the stove plug. I use the gfci cable on my rig(actually into a 50 amp breaker). I ran 8 guage romex though.

Latest posts

Back