Therminator in Starsan for over 24 hours, ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew hoperator

Reaction score
I brewed for the first time in several months and the lack of routine showed since I forgot to take the therminator out of the bucket of starsan. It was in there for over 24 hours.

Do you think I damaged the therminator?

Thanks in advance!

No, it should be fine. Star San does not appear to hurt SS, it might if you left it in a strong solution for a few months.

Star San is no problem for the Stainless Steel, but it is a problem for the copper brazing material that was used to weld the stack of plates together. It is not a good idea to leave these units in an acid solution like star san for long periods. You may have noticed that the water might have turned a little blue after that soaking.

A short soak or rinse should be OK. Not a long one.

Either it's damaged or it's not. If, when you're chilling, you notice your brew is getting diluted, or when you stop running wort through it, it keeps running; eventually looking like water.....then you have a leak that is allowing water to cross over to the wort side (and vice versa).

Back