IPA Stuck?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bosox

Reaction score
I started brewing a Palilia India Pale Ale last Thursday, and I used an American Type Ale Yeast (a standard sized packet I spose), as directed to by the home brewers bible ;)

So it was fermenting nice for the first two days, then on saturday it seemed to stop almost completely, and sunday and today it seems like it isn't bubbling at all out of the airlock. Unfortunately I forgot to take the beginning specific gravity, but it seems like just 2-3 days of fermenting seems short? The beer looks mostly clear, and has barely any foam on top.

Temperature that the yeast was added was around 65-67, and recipe called for 30 mins of boiling malted and roasted barley, then 60 mins of boiling while adding dry amber malt extract, UK northern Brewer Hops, UK Challenger hops in the first few mins then Cascade hops in the final minute. I strained the wort a few times

take a hyrometer reading. if its close to the est FG then its probably done. but just give it a few more days just in case

unfortunately the book doesn't give me an estimated FG. I can probably look one up though.

I figure I'd give it until about Thursday though, at least a solid week, and see if anything happens. But I just wasn't sure if this was unusual or if I needed to do something like add yeast before all hope was lost!

if you post the full recipe and yeast used we can estimate what your FG should be.

was the fermenter kept in a basement or in water, or wet shirt or anything? if not, im guessing with our recent heat your fermentation was into the 70s and probably just went quickly.

i forget the exact recipe, that was basically it.

crystal malted barley 1 lb
roasted malted barley .5 lb
northern brewer hops 1 oz
cascade hops 1 oz
challenger hops 1 oz
amber malt extract 5.5 lb
american type ale yeast

its in a glass fermenter and it was on an un-airconditioned glassed in porch. so it probably got up around 70+ during fermentation, i kept feeling the glass and it was still cool to the touch so i doubt it got into the 80s

ok, fg should probably be around 1.016. id just wait a few more days, before taking a reading, but it wouldn't be out of the question that fermentation is nearly complete

fyi, i also wouldn't be surprised if the fg finished around 1.02. a lot of extract +grains don't tend to make it past there

yeah there was a pretty hefty amount of ingredients. Lots more then my first brew I made, but it was lighter...

Any idea what alcohol content that should be?

should be around 5%, give or take a lil depending on where it finishes

Back