Holiday Brew Qs - Spices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonneville

Reaction score
So, I'm looking to brew a Xmas ale with some spices (Cinnamon, Ginger, Nutmeg, and Allspice). The spices are to be added to the wort during the last minute of the boil. I usually filter my trub when transferring the cooled wort to the primary. This will filter out the spices (I think). This would seem to reduce the effectiveness of the spices (but maybe the 1 minute of boil is enough?) Should I just put the whole trub into the primary, spices and all?

Also, more generally, is it too late for this to work? I imagine spiced beers need some time to age and balance out, and we are looking at 8-9 weeks to drinkability. So, should I just skip it this year and go brew a porter or stout or something?

Most Xmas ales seem to be based on Old Ales, but I was going to lighten up the recipe to be more like an Amber or similar.

Thanks!

You should be fine if you are brewing tomorrow to get it going before x-mas. Though timelines will shift depending on whether you naturally carb or keg. as for the spices I did a mulling spice ale this year and added the spice about 20 mins from flame out. Then I added more during secondary. It only took about 1 oz in the boil and 1/2 oz in secondary and it has a strong mulling spice taste.

The recipe I used as based on an unknown ale recipe (golden promise, 2 row, and crystal 80L) with 1/2 oz of Kent goldings for bittering. I am not really sure what style that would be. but it's good none the less.

Back