Gluten Free Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lcasanova

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So today at work I was looking around for various supplies :drunk: and trying to plan my first beer and as luck would have it, I stumbled across a recipe while looking. Here is a link:

Briess White Sorghum Syrup, 3.3 lbs. :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

Now, I'm wondering if anyone has tried this or has any thoughts just looking. This being my first beer, I figured I would try something easy, and this sounds like it is right up my alley. After this one maybe I'll eventually try using grains and other things...eventually.

Anywho...any thoughts?

I have not made it but it looks like a basic, decent GF brew. Unfortunately, there is not a lot of choices for the GF brewer but it looks like a recipe you can change up pretty easy by changing the hops.

I don't know how completely sorghum ferments but you might be able to play with small amounts or types of sugars you can use in the brew itself to change it up. Another addition might be lactose as it can give you a slightly different mouth feel.

I would only make a Gluten Free beer if you really want to. Normal beer is much better (in general). From what I have read, recipes like that won't be very good. Sorghum has a unique flavor - I've heard its' pretty sweet, citrusy, and sour by itself. I made a GF Sorghum Ale with some help, but it requires roasting and steeping grains. If you want a simple but decent beer I would look into decent regular extract beers. But if you want to go gluten free for you or someone else, check out my recipe from my drop down, or some in the gluten free brewers group on here. Good luck.

There's some info about gluten free beers in this months "all about beer" magazine. I believe they came to the conclusion that sorghum and other grains worked well in sweeter beers like dopple bocks, but were a little too sweet for pale ales.

I would only make a Gluten Free beer if you really want to. Normal beer is much better (in general). From what I have read, recipes like that won't be very good. Sorghum has a unique flavor - I've heard its' pretty sweet, citrusy, and sour by itself. I made a GF Sorghum Ale with some help, but it requires roasting and steeping grains. If you want a simple but decent beer I would look into decent regular extract beers. But if you want to go gluten free for you or someone else, check out my recipe from my drop down, or some in the gluten free brewers group on here. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply, I've seen some of your recipes and may eventually try them, but Im looking for simple right now. The GF beer is for me, I am supporting my girlfirend who is Celiac so I have gone gluten free as well. While I wish I would have gotten into this sooner to get a few regular beers under my belt, that was not the case. I'm sure I'll eventually try this, so I'll keep you posted.

Logan :mug:

I would recommend you add half the syrup at the beginning of the boil and half about ten minutes before the end. This will increase the bitterness somewhat, which can be a good idea with sorghum's residual sweetness.

Thanks for the reply, I've seen some of your recipes and may eventually try them, but Im looking for simple right now. The GF beer is for me, I am supporting my girlfirend who is Celiac so I have gone gluten free as well. While I wish I would have gotten into this sooner to get a few regular beers under my belt, that was not the case. I'm sure I'll eventually try this, so I'll keep you posted.

Logan :mug:

Cool. I don't think it will turn out too bad by any means, but you could make something better is what I was getting at. I think it would be just fine for a first recipe. Their hop schedule doesn't look too bad. You could always modify it. Adding hops near the end of the boil is more for hop flavor and aroma - adding them toward the beginning is for bitterness. You might want to use a little more hops for more bitterness (maybe flavor too) to balance the sorghum. Good luck. Post up how it turns out.

Here is the Gluten Free Brewers Group if you haven't checked it out yet.
HomeBrewTalk Groups - Gluten Free Brewers

Back