Final Gravity seems a little high after a couple weeks.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

middleofnowhere

Reaction score
Okay, I brewed my Stout almost two full weeks ago, It is still in primary and been kept at a steady 21-22 degrees celcius. Which I figured wasn't too bad.

My original gravity was low at 1.045 it was expected to be 1.057, and I figured out the cause of that. (I used Imperial Gallons instead of US Gallons) I also figured I messed up along the way. I followed the instructions to a t...but maybe I did something wrong.

So I was planning on racking to the secondary last week, but I had to go away to a funeral, and figured the extra week in primary would be good anyway.

So I got back in town yesterday and checked the gravity and it was at 1.014, which is pretty high. I am going to check it again tomorrow to see if it is still moving or if it has stopped.

Should I rack to the secondary with the final gravity so high? Should I try to get the fermentation started again?

I used Safale S-04 Yeast and the morebeer Sout extract kit. If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them.

Darren

1.014 is perfectly fine for a stout. You're at 68% apparent attenuation right now. That's reasonably ok for that yeast, which has a 70-75% attenuation rate. You're close. It could just be done. There are a ton of factors that will effect this (including the type of extract used) and really, I am sure it'll be good. If your numbers are stuck at 1.014 go ahead and move it.

This is just an observation that I see with all these hydrometer reading problems...is anyone taking temp readings and readjusting their hydrometer numbers, or are they just taking hydrometer readings and thinking that's what the FG is?

I know I take temp readings first. :D

Back