Single Gallon Brewing recipe division and timing.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bricelyn

Reaction score
This is supposed to be a Bridgeport "Hop Czar" Clone.

This will be my first "all grain" and single gallon brew. I've made 4 "extract" Brews over the past two years with one flopping which was actually my first, they all gushed and some exploded in the middle of the night. The next three have been great and have been a local recipe from Nampa Brew Center called "Jump Creek Amber" which is an alt bier specifically supposed to be an Alaskan Amber.

LONG STORY SHORT. I am concerned about the division of 5.5 gallons to 1 Do I just divide everything by 5.5? Second I am wondering about boil time and particularly Hop addition times!

http://www.beertools.com/library/recipe.php?view=5734

17.5 lbs English 2-row Pale
.5 lbs English Amber Malt
.5 oz Warrior® - 16.0 AA% whole; boiled 90 min
.5 oz Warrior® - 16.0 AA% whole; boiled 75 min
.33 oz Warrior® - 16.0 AA% whole; boiled 60 min
.33 oz Simcoe® - 13.0 AA% whole; boiled 35 min
.75 oz Willamette - 7.0 AA% whole; boiled 25 min
1 oz Glacier - 8.5 AA% whole; added dry to secondary fermenter
.5 oz Sterling - 13.0 AA% whole; added dry to secondary fermenter
1 oz Millenium - 5.5 AA% whole; added dry to secondary fermenter
WYeast 1187 Ringwood Ale™

Here is my math.
Dividing everything by 5.5 and rounding if it wasn't within 1/10th of half.

3.2 lBS English 2 Row Pale
.1 lBS English Amber Malt
.1 oz Warrior 16.0 AA%
.1 oz Warrior
.06 oz Simcoe 13.0 AA%
.13 oz Willamette 7.o
.2 oz Glacier
.1 oz sterling
.2 oz Millennium

Thanks for any and all help! The link is below, best regards and happy brewing!
Bricelyn:D

Yes, at this scale, dividing by 5.5 is the right thing to do. One thing to pay attention to is your boil equipment differences. A different pot can lead to a different boil-off rate. It wouldn't hurt to run an experiment and see what your boil-off rate is for the pot you intend to use. Even if you get it wrong, you could still boil longer or topoff. But with AG and the opportunity to do a full boil, it's less hassle if you can predict it right. Also, you're going to need a decent scale to measure hops accurately at those quantities.

^ THIS

I did two small batches (1 gallon) recently and ran into boil-off rate problems of my own. I ended up boiling for 3 hours... Needless to say my hop schedule was thrown off a bit...

Also, you might consider that a big cooler mash tun won't hold heat as well for a small batch. I fixed the problem using this (thank you pwortiz!!). I just cut a piece a bit larger than my cooler diameter and lower it just above the mash. Also, don't forget to preheat your cooler with 180F water beforehand.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/reflectix-bubble-pack-2x10/902355

You might find that at this scale it might be easier to do BIAB for your mash.

In any case, for your mash, you'll need to calculate a few things like mash and sparge water volumes to get you to a pre-boil volume that corresponds to your boil-off rate/time. You can do these calcs by hand, but I like to use Beersmith.

To directly answer your question about hop addition times: they should stay the same.

BIAB has kind of been the plan for this one as I don't have a small enough cooler! Ive got a monster cooler from Costco and i think a gallon of mash would only cover about a centimeter of the bottom!

I just bought a 2 gallon cooler from Home Depot last night for this very purpose. I put a ball valve, etc as well for around $30.

Back