Question on pump and camlocks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mosquitocontrol

Reaction score
Okay, right now I'm deciding between a gravity fed system and one with a pump. Trying to get the full cost on the table so I can make a real decision. The problem is, I got way confused when looking into camlocks.

Trying to make a 3 vessel system (2 keggles and a cooler). Using one pump that I can hook/unhook between the 3 vessels.

I was going to get 3-piece ball valves on the output of all vessels. After that, I was confused. I looked at the graphic on brewhardware and it seemed like it was saying to put another valve on the pump? That didn't seem right.

What pieces would I need to do this:

ball valve outlet on keggle (can hook/unhook) --> silicon tubing --> chugger pump ---> silicon tubing --> input on other keggle/cooler/counterflow chiller, etc.

You want a ball valve on the outlet side of the pump so that you can reduce the rate coming out of it during the boil (to sanitize a cfc or plate chiller). Otherwise, while the wort is boiling, air bubbles will form in the pump head leading to cavitation (a squealing sound) and a loss of pumping action.

This is what my pump head looks like:
current_pump_head-57582.jpg

Questions??

The ball valve on the pump is used to control the flow rate. My ball valve is connected to the pump and the camlock is connected to the valve.

Why wouldn't you use the valve on the kettle to control the flow rate? Or is it just because you need to do it as close to the inlet as possible?

I guess I was thinking during the boil I wouldn't even have the pump hooked up.

You want the pump head to remain full of liquid. Having a valve on the output of the pump allows you to keep the pump full and control the flow leaving the pump. If you'd try to control it before the pump, it would run dry and screech and screech. Ask me how I know :)

During the boil, and even after, you'll want the keggle valve either full open or closed (open when using the pump). Many of us have discovered why, then searched for the reason our pumps make the godawful sound.

Also, if the pump you get doesn't come with a good size impeller, get the pimp kit from Rebel Brewer. It, basically, turns an 809 head into an 815 head (the current March model, 809 is no longer in production). Flow rate on the 815 is much higher than the 809.

So will I be able to get away with one pump or will I have to have two?

Gravity fed is looking better and better. If I wasn't so short.

So will I be able to get away with one pump or will I have to have two?

Gravity fed is looking better and better. If I wasn't so short.

If you want to do any recirculation, or have a single tier system, you'll need a pump. With QD's, you could get away with a single pump. You might find it easier, later, to add another pump to the mix.

When I get my brew stand, since it could be a single tier, I'll be starting with two pumps (already have two motors, would have two heads but one needs to be replaced). I might even go for a third pump at some later point, depending on how things work out. :ban:

I use gravity to run my sparge water into the MLT as the first wort flows out. When I cannot do that (if I don't go for a two tier system) then I'll need to use the second pump during that time.

I recommend the chugger pump w center inlet and then bargainfittings for everything else. Inc the 3/4 to 1/2 coupler. Wayne is great for questions at BF. I bought ball valves, D and F camlocks, and the 5/8 barbs. Plus tubing. Super happy. Super reasonable price.

jgaepi said:
I recommend the chugger pump w center inlet and then bargainfittings for everything else. Inc the 3/4 to 1/2 coupler. Wayne is great for questions at BF. I bought ball valves, D and F camlocks, and the 5/8 barbs. Plus tubing. Super happy. Super reasonable price.

I guess I don't see the point in the center inlet, you are immediately reducing the 3/4" center inlet to 1/2" anyways, and from what everybody says, yo do not want to restrict flow on the inlet. Will it work? Yes, but it may not work as well as it was designed to, while the inline pump has 1/2" inlet which is equal to the fittings and tube you are using, so it just makes more sense to me as it was designed for a 1/2" inlet.

Even with the same inside diameter plumbing to/from these impeller pumps, the center-inlet design should still provide moderately higher performance because it eliminates the sharp 90° bend in the input port molded into the side-input model.

[On a barely related note, I went with the side-input model because on my single tier the input plumbing would be sticking out where it'd be highly vulnerable to being cleaned off by a passing shin bone...]

Cheers!

The center inlet is SLIGHTLY better at reducing cavitation because it doesn't have a 90 degree bend right on the face of the impeller. Sure, it would be great to run 3/4" hose directly to a huge barb on the front but even with the 1/2" camlock stepdown, you're in slightly better shape than the inline. Both will work OK as long as you use high flow components and don't put an additional 90 on the inlet of the inline.

To the OP, one great compromise is to design a two tier setup and get one pump. You then have the option of batch or fly sparging. A pump also allows you to lower the entire stand because you no longer have to rely on gravity to get the wort from the boil kettle to the fermenter. It affords you options on chilling as well. While you can gravity feed a CFC or plate chiller, a pump works a lot better and allows you to pump-recirculate-sanitize with heat. Even if you go with an immersion chiller, you can then use the pump to whirlpool for faster cooling and better runoff clarity. Same goes for your mash. No more pitcher vorlaufs, hook up the pump and go.

Ok, now that I got all the cheerleading out of the way, you will hate life for a bit while you get used to working with a pump but don't get discouraged. You eventually figure it out.

Ok, now that I got all the cheerleading out of the way, you will hate life for a bit while you get used to working with a pump but don't get discouraged. You eventually figure it out.

I have to disagree with the above. I got my pump setup and cam locks from Bobby ^^^ this summer and I love it. Took a little getting used to but I was not hating life by any means.

I will also recommend going through Bobby at Brewhardware.com. Great prices, and great service and a pleasure to deal with.

Andy

Back