The Chit Wagon (Portable Draft Homebrew on the beach)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thechitmaster

Reaction score
Finally got a chance to test out my new portable travel kegerator/cooler design.

Complete with pressure gauge for precision control, check valve for CO2 connection, and extra length on the hoses for the extra chill.

The perfect beach companion.

More details, improvements, and pics to come...

IMG_2568.jpg

IMG_2555.jpg

image-1991678091.jpg

IMG_2557.jpg

IMG_2558.jpg

why are you posting here. aren't you on vacation?? Bring that to the Caveman this year!!

I'm building the same thing and have been calling it the coolerator! I really like the thermometer

THAT is neat.

I love the gauge in the lid.

One thing, I would put a cage around the CO2 injector, that just seems like it would be too easy to knock off.

:rockin:

Are those the 1.75 gallon kegs that just came available at William's Brewing? Or are those the 2.5G version?

Yes, details please! My wife said this is actually one DIY homebrew project she can get behind. What model cooler? What size kegs?

The cooler you want to use is the igloo maxcold 70 qt cube cooler. The 60 qt is much cheaper but will hold only 1 keg. The 70 qt will fit 2 - 3 gallon kegs with single handle (pictured above) or 2 - 2.5 gallon kegs with rubber top and bottom (similar to a 5 gallon corny). This will be a super tight fit but with some effort you can get it to work. Here is a link to a similar build with discussion about fitting kegs

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/portable-igloo-cooler-kegerator-172047/

I love that it's self-contained all in one neat package - no need for lugging around the kegs separately. That also makes it less conspicuous in public places. It's probably much cheaper than a jockey box, too, since you don't have to buy plate or coil chillers. I can see pulling a couple of carbed and chilled kegs out of the keezer, taking them to an all day BBQ, then sticking them back in the keezer that night (still cold) if there's anything left. That's a win!

One of the kegs is a 3 gallon and one is a 2.5 gallon. Without altering the wheel hump inside the cooler, a 2.5 and 3 combo seem to work better.

The CO2 cylinder can easily disconnect without discharging the CO2 on the system because there's an inline check valve pre pressure gauge. (No protective cage necessary around charging system.) Simply unscrew the cylinder and replace with protective brass cap.

image-1472445006.jpg

Another angle.

image-208229018.jpg

Yes, that is a stainless steel pressure gauge.

It is retained by a piece of 1/4 inch lexan, stainless steel fasteners, and silicone.

I used the third gas fitting because last minute, I had to make do ........ I plan on changing as soon as I can get back to my local brew shop.

Yes, that is a stainless steel pressure gauge.

It is retained by a piece of 1/4 inch lexan, stainless steel fasteners, and silicone.

Well, then - you might as well put a dial thermometer like they use in walk-in coolers in the other cup holding well!

Great setup & inspiration for another project!!!

For those doing this build, DO NOT order two of the 2.5 gallon kegs from cornykeg.com. Their diameter is 9". Two will definitely not fit without modification of the side wall.

I only did a set up with one keg for now but I fear that when I do add another keg even the 8.5" diameter 3 gallon keg will not fit and I'll need to get two 3 gallon jobbies.

Alright, resurrecting an old post. I finally got the second tap installed and ordered two of these:

http://morebeer.com/products/cornelius-keg-25-gallon.html#reviews

How the hell are you guys getting them in/out of the cooler? The rubber top/bottom appear to be the obstacle. I've been thinking about denying the side of one of them.

I could probably force them in as-is but would never be able to get them back out.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I used a little bit of vegetable oil to help them slide down. You have to work them back and forth but the will fit. After I got them in I let them sit in there for a week and the cooler kinda flexed a bit. Now they are easier to get in there. I would not dent anything. If I was to do any modifications I would trip the rubber bead around the keg

I have had something like this for a while. They rock for tailgating or parties.

I used a remote adapter for a 20oz paintball tank and everything closes fine. I can fit 2 of the 1.75 gallon kegs.

1401739235038.jpg

Thanks. I'll try trimming some of the rubber and some veggie oil to get them in there.

Maybe letting it sit in the sun with the kegs in place would help get the plastic to a point where it'd warp a little to make some room.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back