someone please convince me to keep going!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpdb185

Reaction score
please forgive me, but this has become a regular question i pose to you here. WHY IN THE HELL CAN IN NOT MAKE A DECENT BELGIAN STYLE BREW????? i've done 5 batches now and they all have a sulfury funk to them that's definitely not to my tasting. i've had most of the great commercial belgians of all styles; none of them have had this taste. some people think i'm confusing it with the characteristic flavors of belgian yeasts, but these taste nothing like any of the commercial beers i've had.

anyways, i've tried wlp550 and 500. i've tried fermenting them everywhere between 65F and 75F. first i was led to believe they needed to be fermented at a higher temp. that didn't work. i tried to start at 68 then ramp to 75 and that didn't do it either. then i was told i was getting the yeast too hot too quick. so i fermented my latest batch, a tripel ipa using wlp500, at 65F through the entire fermentation to make sure it wasn't the temp. well, it tastes as much like dog crap as the rest of my belgian brews. just to be clear, i ferment in a chest freezer controlled with a 2-stage ranco. i seal the probe to the side of the fermentor using 2 layers of bubble wrap and a few layers of duct tape to seal the edges. i'm led to believe that using this method, the probe will read the temp of the wort instead of the ambient temp.

my question is: WTF??? everything else i've brewed not using belgian yeast has been fine, and none of them have exhibited this sulfury/dog crap taste. i will say that each batch has gotten a little bit better (or i've just gotten used to it), but they are nowhere near enjoyable and are borderline drinkable.

the only other thing i can imagine being the problem is the water. out of my faucet, it has a slight sulfur smell/taste. from the hose outside, which i use for brewing, i've not noticed it. i never thought it should have been a problem since it didn't seem to affect my other beers, but i may be wrong. would somebody please tell me what i should do? keep pissing money away brewing undrinkable batches until i magically get it right? quit trying to brew with belgian yeast? does anyone have any decent suggestions? i've got the ingredients for a quad waiting to be brewed, so i'm hoping that the maltiness might help cover up whatever the problem is. :(

please forgive me, but this has become a regular question i pose to you here. WHY IN THE HELL CAN IN NOT MAKE A DECENT BELGIAN STYLE BREW????? i've done 5 batches now and they all have a sulfury funk to them that's definitely not to my tasting. i've had most of the great commercial belgians of all styles; none of them have had this taste. some people think i'm confusing it with the characteristic flavors of belgian yeasts, but these taste nothing like any of the commercial beers i've had.

anyways, i've tried wlp550 and 500. i've tried fermenting them everywhere between 65F and 75F. first i was led to believe they needed to be fermented at a higher temp. that didn't work. i tried to start at 68 then ramp to 75 and that didn't do it either. then i was told i was getting the yeast too hot too quick. so i fermented my latest batch, a tripel ipa using wlp500, at 65F through the entire fermentation to make sure it wasn't the temp. well, it tastes as much like dog crap as the rest of my belgian brews. just to be clear, i ferment in a chest freezer controlled with a 2-stage ranco. i seal the probe to the side of the fermentor using 2 layers of bubble wrap and a few layers of duct tape to seal the edges. i'm led to believe that using this method, the probe will read the temp of the wort instead of the ambient temp.

my question is: WTF??? everything else i've brewed not using belgian yeast has been fine, and none of them have exhibited this sulfury/dog crap taste. i will say that each batch has gotten a little bit better (or i've just gotten used to it), but they are nowhere near enjoyable and are borderline drinkable.

the only other thing i can imagine being the problem is the water. out of my faucet, it has a slight sulfur smell/taste. from the hose outside, which i use for brewing, i've not noticed it. i never thought it should have been a problem since it didn't seem to affect my other beers, but i may be wrong. would somebody please tell me what i should do? keep pissing money away brewing undrinkable batches until i magically get it right? quit trying to brew with belgian yeast? does anyone have any decent suggestions? i've got the ingredients for a quad waiting to be brewed, so i'm hoping that the maltiness might help cover up whatever the problem is. :(

I don't have experience with the wlp500 or 550, but I say try the wyeast 3711 smack pack. Mine turned out well with that one. Search for it in the "fermentation" area and you'll find an awesome thread on it.

Get a water report. How can you make a good beer if you don't know what's in the main ingredient?

_

Get a water report. How can you make a good beer if you don't know what's in the main ingredient?

_

+1
and don't use the hose anymore, garden hose I take it?

I did a tried & true recipe and being lazy that day just use the hose, long story short it tasted like ass.

Use bottled or spring water. Try to use belgian or at least german malts. Don't over do the specialty malts. Aerate well. Underpitch a little. Leave it in the primary for at least a month. Don't even bother drinking it in the first 5 months after bottling.

+1 to getting some info on your water. Both wlp500 and wlp550 can produce some sulfur during fermentation, but it should age out if left alone long enough. What's your fermentation schedule? FWIW I've never cared for wlp500 myself, and my favorite yeast for Belgians is wlp575, which is actually a blend of Trappist and Belgian yeasts.

Give them time. Generally sulfur will dissipate. A nice cold storage period for Belgians is another good technique.

I've used 550 a few times and love it, tastes great in my saison... I had some people round who tried it and guessed it was 4%, they were shocked when I revealed it was 7%. I have soft water though. Oh... and relax with the temp control, let it ramp up naturally with control only if it gets too hot.

I'm surprised no one else has asked this...before you call foul on the water we need to know more of your process. How long are you fermenting these brews? Primary and Secondary...primary only?

I'm surprised no one else has asked this...before you call foul on the water we need to know more of your process. How long are you fermenting these brews? Primary and Secondary...primary only?

And have you tried any several months after bottling?

i typically let them ferment for 4-6 weeks, primary only. i then cold crash and keg. i had a belgian pale ale that was right at a year old and it still tasted horrible. i threw it out. i have a tripel that's about 6-7 months in the keg, but i haven't tried it in a while. i was planning on letting it sit in the closet for a few more months. i pulled it out of the kegerator after 3-4 months because it still tasted "off". i'm going to try to get a water report sometime today, if possible.

as for aging, wouldn't you want to drink a belgian ipa pretty soon? or do they not lose much hop flavor after aging?

What kind of pitching rate are you using? I have gotten heavy into the Belgians of late and have not had any issue with sulfur. I've used WLP500, 530 and 550. I do like the 530 the best so far though. Just did a 1.100 quad and kegged it last weekend. No taste of sulfur with only two week fermentation. 1.100-1.020, pitched a butt load of harvested yeast, pitched at 66 and free rose to 68. Held at 68 for 1 week then ramped up to 72 for the second week.

just got off the phone with the lady at the water dept. and she said the only things they test for are hazardous elements such as copper, lead, and e-coli. she said i would have to test it myself to find what i needed. :mad:

is there any easy way to do this? would it just be easier to buy bottled spring water?

What kind of pitching rate are you using? I have gotten heavy into the Belgians of late and have not had any issue with sulfur. I've used WLP500, 530 and 550. I do like the 530 the best so far though. Just did a 1.100 quad and kegged it last weekend. No taste of sulfur with only two week fermentation. 1.100-1.020, pitched a butt load of harvested yeast, pitched at 66 and free rose to 68. Held at 68 for 1 week then ramped up to 72 for the second week.

as far as pitching rates, i use whatever the mr. malty program says. they are usually ~2L starters on the stir plate for ~18-24hrs.

is there any easy way to do this? would it just be easier to buy bottled spring water?

http://www.wardlab.com/FeeSchedule/WaterAnalysis.aspx
You're looking for test W-6 on $16.95.

pH 7.8
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est 143
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 0.24
Cations / Anions, me/L 2.4 / 2.3
ppm
Sodium, Na 3
Potassium, K < 1
Calcium, Ca 43
Magnesium, Mg 2
Total Hardness, CaCO3 116
Nitrate, NO3-N 0.1 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S 1
Chloride, Cl 2
Carbonate, CO3 < 1
Bicarbonate, HCO3 132
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 109

I just remembered the La Fin Du Monde clone you brewed at my house, you used the water hose with the filter to fill your brew kettle.

Try store bought water.

OMG don't give up!!

The water in my town is loaded with chlorine and chloramines (thank you city for sending out the water report via bulk mail).

The first couple of batches I brewed with tap water (before I knew any better) had an odd aftertaste. The dubbel took about 6 months in the bottle before I could actually drink it. I would say the aftertaste was a sort of chemical-y thing - difficult to describe, maybe a bit like latex or plastic.

Then I switched to bottled water. No aftertaste at all.

Got sick and tired of dealing with lugging bottled water, so I picked up some Campden tablets.

Definitely test your water. Chloramines are a pretty common side effect of treating municipal water supplies. If it turns out not to be chloramines, then either invest in a filtration system or buy bottled water.

Don't give up. "Bad" water can definitely cause unpleasant taste effects in what would otherwise be a decent brew.

Just go get a Wards Labs report. I just called my city offices and asked them if they had a place I can take my rocks and broken concrete. Then I asked if they put any Chlorine or Chloramine and she said YES!

The person who handles that is out for the week, but she said they add it because of old pipes or some such. So from now i am using Spring water, or distilled. Chloramine can be hard to detect when just drinking the water, but can be noticeable in the finished beer.

Knowing what your water chemistry is can go a long ways towards not just making a great beer, bot not making a decent too.

+1 Are you racking these to secondary? Residual yeast can really affect a beer's flavor, especially a funky yeast. After fermentation I crash, rack, crash, then keg.

Back