How long for dry hopping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhenInMinnesota

Reaction score
How long is too long for dry hopping? Does it vary by hop variety? 2 weeks seems to be about the general consensus for dry hopping that I've found on the interwebs but has anyone gone longer than that? And if so, could you tell a difference in the beer compared to a shorter time?

7-10 days is sufficient time. Two weeks and up is pushing it.

+1

A week is pretty standard.

Shorter than that and you don't get all of those wonderful aromatic compounds.
Longer and the hops can start breaking down and give you a grassy taste.

There is obviously lots of opinion about how long is long enough. I always dry hop two weeks. The best technique that I have found for getting the most out of dry hopping is to rack on to the dry hop in your secondary. But that too is the subject of a host of opinions. If you can split your batch and try more than one technique you are able to make nice comparisons and determine wich you prefer....at least for that style and that hop.

I think you should put a hop sack into the keg when you cold condition and then keep it in there. It really helps bring out that wonderful nosey hop profile.

But to answer your question I think most people do it 2 weeks, I just put it in a paint strainer bag and throw it in the keg like I said.

I've gone as short as 4 days and as long as two months. I've come the same conclusion as many others that the sweet spot is 7-10 days.

Firestone Walker Brewing in California has won the IPA category in the major commercial competitions (GABF, WBC) several times. They use a dry hopping contact time of 3 to 4 days and apparently dry hop twice for some styles (again using the short 3 to 4 day contact time).

I long ago found that extended contact time can produce a grassy flavor in the beer. I too revised my contact time downward to about a week, but the latest batches have been focusing on the shorter contact time espoused by F-W above. The hop flavor and aroma are excellent and it shortens my production time. I'm sold on the shorter time.

How long is too long for dry hopping? Does it vary by hop variety? 2 weeks seems to be about the general consensus for dry hopping that I've found on the interwebs but has anyone gone longer than that? And if so, could you tell a difference in the beer compared to a shorter time?

That is a 64 million dollar question.

Firestone Walker Brewing in California has won the IPA category in the major commercial competitions (GABF, WBC) several times. They use a dry hopping contact time of 3 to 4 days and apparently dry hop twice for some styles (again using the short 3 to 4 day contact time).

If you listen to Vinny at Russian River, he says 2 weeks and do it twice like he does in the Pliny beers. While Matt at Firestone says short contact time. Both guys make top notch, award winning beer. It really depends on hop variety, temp, style of beer, and what you are looking for in a dryhop. I would suggest trying many different ways and find which you like the best for your beers. I have found the biggest thing to worry about is picking up oxygen while dry hopping and getting an oxidized hop flavor. I have since welded a 316 stainless steel hook to the bottom of my keg lids to hang my dry hops from. This allows me to purge all the oxygen out of the hops and bag before I rack my beer into it. Hoppy beers oxidize very easily.

I know this thread is a bit old, but I'd like to revive it... I have never heard that hoppy beers oxidize easily, although I don't claim to know a lot because I've only been brewing for a year. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to best dry hop, then? I have just been throwing all of my whole hops loose into the carboy and then racking the beer onto them when transferring to secondary. It has worked pretty well so far, although it is kind of a pain in the ass to get all of the hops wet enough that they have contact with the beer. I once tried to put them in hop bags and stuff it into the mouth of the carboy, but that was a total pain in the ass to get out at the end... I did hear someone recommend dry hopping in plastic brew buckets, but I am hesitant to do that because of how much more porous plastic is than glass. Any ideas about all of this, HBT community?

I know this thread is a bit old, but I'd like to revive it... I have never heard that hoppy beers oxidize easily, although I don't claim to know a lot because I've only been brewing for a year. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to best dry hop, then? I have just been throwing all of my whole hops loose into the carboy and then racking the beer onto them when transferring to secondary. It has worked pretty well so far, although it is kind of a pain in the ass to get all of the hops wet enough that they have contact with the beer. I once tried to put them in hop bags and stuff it into the mouth of the carboy, but that was a total pain in the ass to get out at the end... I did hear someone recommend dry hopping in plastic brew buckets, but I am hesitant to do that because of how much more porous plastic is than glass. Any ideas about all of this, HBT community?

I just throw my pellets loose into the carboy now. No transfer. After 5-7 days, I rack off the dry hops. I don't use whole cones at all just for the oxidation reasons. I buy pellets in bulk and store them in purged mason jars in my freezer. You actually get more essential oil extraction out of pellets than you do out of whole flowers anyway. Better all around, plus they break up and sink to the bottom instead of floating and bringing oxygen into your beer.

Back