green tea beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DontDrinkAndDrum

Reaction score
i love green tea, and was considering trying to add it to a batch of brew for flavor, and wanted to know if anyone thought this might be a bad idea, and if not, how much is usually good to add to a batch

also, i've always thought mint and chocolate was a good combo, and wondering if anyone knows anything about whether a mint chocolate porter, or something of the like, would be worth considering

I would think that both could work given the right amount into the right style. Mint Chocolate Porter or Stout would be good if mild on the mint. The green tea might work well with a Pale Ale to mesh with the hops.

For the green tea beer Id take it easy on the hops, maybe a pale ale or a brown, probably starta around 1.045 or so, with a BU:GU of about .4 - .5

I have thought of making a choolate mint stout too. I think that those flavors could go great together. Do a search for chocolate, there are some good points around about how to use it most effectively. Cocoa powder is supposed to be the best bet, but I have always used bakers chocolate.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

- magno

Tannins aren't much of a problem in green tea. I've used chamomile in a ginger beer. I steeped four bags in a quart of water and added it to the keg. Had a jasmine ale at the Boonsville fest in 2001. It was ok, a little sweet, but the young women were all over it.

Never made it but:

Chocolate Mint Stout

6 2/3 LB Dark LME
2LB Dark DME
1LB C60L
1/2LB Roasted Barley
1/2LB Black Patent
1 1/2OZ Cascade (Bittering)
1/2OZ Hallertauer (Aroma)
2Tsp Gypsum
6OZ Semisweet baking chocolate
4OZ Fresh Mint Leaves
1PKG Irish Ale Yeast
1 1/4 DME (priming)

Add chocolate at 30min....."dryhop" with mint leaves

let me know how it goes if you do it!

A friend of mine brewed up a Tea beer and it came out pretty tasty. He made about a gallon of tea and put it in the boil right at the begining. The beer came out with a very nice tea bitterness right up front but finished out with a lemony bitterness in the end. quite interesting for an experimental brew. I'll see if I can't get the recipe.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back