Samichlaus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoebisch01

Reaction score
I just tried a sample of this on tap. Interesting but extremely sweet. It pours up a nice deep golden, it almost looks like the bubbles are swimming through a viscous solution. Small head that dissipated quickly. Quite malty and extremely sweet with at the forefront raisin that fades to a subtle oakiness and reminded me of scotch in a way. It would be good in a snifter in front of the fire.

zoebisch01 said:
I just tried a sample of this on tap. Interesting but extremely sweet. It pours up a nice deep golden, it almost looks like the bubbles are swimming through a viscous solution. Small head that dissipated quickly. Quite malty and extremely sweet with at the forefront raisin that fades to a subtle oakiness and reminded me of scotch in a way. It would be good in a snifter in front of the fire.

I've also had that, and loved it. Strong!

Yeah very strong, 14%? I think. I couldn't drink a 12 oz bottle though. Maybe 6 oz tops in a sitting. It is tasty though. I just couldn't believe they had it on tap. :D

I have a clone recipe for this and I am obsessed. However I have never had the real thing, no idea if the clone is even close.

Some of the beer freaks in the area have said that there is a large difference in the beer since the brewery was purchased, I think in '98 but I am probably wrong. Has anyone had a before and after?

Very interesting beer.

I'm kind of blown away that lager yeast will produce 14%. They must have to seriously massage it along.

They even sell it in 30 liter barrels for export! It must takes years to go through 30 liters of that stuff.

Dave

A local bar just added Samichlaus on tap the other week according to a coworker...I will have to swing by for a sample myself :)

Toilet Rocker said:
I am shocked that this would appear on tap. Can't imagine how much it would cost per glass.

That was my reaction as well (of course, you can't blame him if his account of the evening was a little off ;))...I will be conducting further investigation later this week in the interest of full disclosure.:mug:

Toilet Rocker said:
I am shocked that this would appear on tap. Can't imagine how much it would cost per glass.

Tell me about it. My friend's comment was "I'll bet they gave out more samples than actual sales". Lol.

I talked with a friend of mine who was a huge fan of the original recipe pre-buyout.

He said the original was 16-18%.

Vermicous said:
I talked with a friend of mine who was a huge fan of the original recipe pre-buyout.

He said the original was 16-18%.

I was indeed wondering how much it changed from the original. People like to romanticize that this isn't the case, but in many examples of when things change hands they are just not the same because ineviteably someone will make a change somewhere. This happens with growth too.

I remember when Sam Adams (I think you could only get the 'Boston Lager' at that time) first started appearing. We loved it. But as they grew there was a point where something changed that changed the beer. Many people I talk with who experienced it agree. Now, I'm not saying it's a bad beer, just different in a way imo that makes it inferior. 'Course if you never had stuff from early on, you'd be non the wiser....I tend to get the feeling this is the case with Samichlaus. One interesting thing I did read though regarding Samichlaus was that every year the ABV would be a bit different.

zoebisch01 said:
I was indeed wondering how much it changed from the original. People like to romanticize that this isn't the case, but in many examples of when things change hands they are just not the same because ineviteably someone will make a change somewhere. This happens with growth too.

I remember when Sam Adams (I think you could only get the 'Boston Lager' at that time) first started appearing. We loved it. But as they grew there was a point where something changed that changed the beer. Many people I talk with who experienced it agree. Now, I'm not saying it's a bad beer, just different in a way imo that makes it inferior. 'Course if you never had stuff from early on, you'd be non the wiser....I tend to get the feeling this is the case with Samichlaus. One interesting thing I did read though regarding Samichlaus was that every year the ABV would be a bit different.

The Samichlaus I had was straight from Germany. My aunt-in-law brought me back a bottle on her last trip there. As I've only had it once, I can't say whether it was better or worse than the original.

zoebisch01 said:

That happened to Shiner Bock. The quality of the beer decreased noticeably as the sales increased over the past 15 or so years. Ah well, plenty of other good beers out there.

Torchiest said:
That happened to Shiner Bock. The quality of the beer decreased noticeably as the sales increased over the past 15 or so years. Ah well, plenty of other good beers out there.

:D

Lot's of 'em are coming from my cellar! Golly I love homebrewing!

Yeah, I took an inventory last night, and I have ten cases of homebrew, and six cases worth fermenting. I'm finally self-sustaining! :rockin: :tank:

I almost think that Samiclaus tastes a little like Jagermeister. It has so much flavor and very strong in alcohol for a beer anyway. I can barely make it through a whole 12 oz bottle.

Funny story about Samiclaus. I asked my friend to come over and help me work on my car. He got to my house and drank 2 Samiclaus in about half an hour. Needless to say he wasn't much help after that.

robbase9 said:
Funny story about Samiclaus. I asked my friend to come over and help me work on my car. He got to my house and drank 2 Samiclaus in about half an hour. Needless to say he wasn't much help after that.

haha! Now that is funny!

robbase9 said:
I almost think that Samiclaus tastes a little like Jagermeister. It has so much flavor and very strong in alcohol for a beer anyway. I can barely make it through a whole 12 oz bottle.

I bet he wasn't much help. And you were probably pissed that he drank 16$ worth of your beer in 1/2 hr..

Back