electrical help needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rod

beer -just brew it
Reaction score
:confused:

i just got a free 1 hp motor to run my grain mill along with a reversing switch from a defunct motor.
i marked the wires from the old motor with corresponding numbers on the switch wires.
the 1 hp motor was just wired to a plug and runs counter clockwise when facing shaft. - i need it to run clockwise. there is a centrifugal switch inside i can see and hear that activates shortly after motor starts running. its a leland type r55 110/220 -maybe not reversible?
which wires do i attach where?
on the old motor wires marked 2 and 3 are white and 1 and 4 are black.
on the 1 hp motor the black wire was with the checkered red/white wire(lhs on photo) and the greenish wire was with yellowish wire(rhs on photo) note the yellowish wire is really red when i checked inside the motor.
i don't want to wreck the motor or switch by doing it wrong
thanks for any advice.
edit: i hooked up wire 4 from the switch to the black wire on 1 hp motor and wire 3 from switch to yellowish(really red) wire on 1 hp motor and the motor runs counterclockwise when facing motor when switch is set on reverse.

IMG_1279.jpg

IMG_1280.jpg

IMG_1283.jpg

ok - thanks for looking but since i and now one else can seem to figure this out i mounted the motor facing the otherway and ran a shaft back to the drive gear on the mill so problem solved.

IMG_1289.jpg

sorry I didn't see this sooner. though you have it worked out I'll drop a little info in cqase you or some one else runs into it again.

There are 2 pairs of wires, one is for the drive power. This is what provides the motor the power to do all the work.

The problem with single phase motors is they won't start turning on their own. They need a circuit to shift the phase a bit to got the motor going. This is the starter circuit. Once it gets up to a couple of rpms the switch you mentioned disconnects it.

Depending on which way you bias the starter circuit determines which way the motor will spin.

To identify the main drive power attach power to just 2 of the 4 wires, when the motor doesnt run until you spin the shaft and spins up in that direction you've found it. The other 2 wires are the start circuit.

thanks for the info - from googling i realized there was a start and run circuit but i did not know how to differentiate.
so when i hooked up 2 wires and the motor ran i guess i found the start circuit?
do you know if this type of motor can run in reverse without damage?

Direction wouldn't be an issue. If it were designed to go only one way the start circuit would have been tied to the power for the run circuit.

If you just wired the start circuit and not the run circuit the motor would turn VERY slowly and would have no umph to it.

ok- thanks - it turned fairly quick but i did not try putting a load on it.
since i don't really need it to run in reverse i may just leave well enough alone.
thanks again for your help

Meter the pairs of windings you'll find the run windings like 10 times higher in resistance than the starting windings. Caution you do not want to run the motor more than 5-8 seconds on the starting windings they will overheat and burn up beside should pop your circuit breaker or fuse what ever the protection you have on that circuit feeding it. This with bypassing the centrifugal contact switch inside the motor.
That Westinghouse motor should have a plate with a 120 or 230 volt wiring circuit on it with it being over 1/2 hp. 3/4 on up most have dual voltage wiring options. Worse case is take the model number to locate on line the proper wiring diagram of it. You'll be surprised what's still available in information even with Westinghouse directly. That dog must be 60 to 70 years old take care of it it will outlast all of us. Older high starting load motors could be repulsion start induction run vs induction start and run, the first mentioned will kick a compressor even with head pressure still on it. What's the roller diameter and length? Shoots the hell out of these new mills still using bushing bearings.

i tried googling the make and model number - no luck on wiring diagrams.
burning up the motor is why i will probably leave well enough alone since i don't have a meter to test the windings.

Check with a motor shop especially one that has been around for 40 yesars or longer these old timers would have you squared away within seconds. Filp them $10 or a 6 pack they'll be happy to help you out.

Check with a motor shop especially one that has been around for 40 yesars or longer these old timers would have you squared away within seconds. Filp them $10 or a 6 pack they'll be happy to help you out.

Dont build em like that any more do they Beemer? Thing looks like some one tried to bury it and has enough umph to chew threw grain.

I did see the rotary switch for off, forward and reverse a good feature to keep with that motor.
Code; very common with these old motors even fully enclosed like this one that they went with bushings instead of ball bearings. Typical of old Westinghouse motors. Just keep them lubed before the bushings get destroyed by letting them run dry. I bet they are dry from years of storage with the cotton wicking dry inside. That thing looks like it'll crush gold ore rocks.

I'd give that thing a good cleaning with degreaser and compressed air. If all else fails don't throw it in the trash - the copper windings in it are worth a pretty penny at the scrap yard.

I would clean it but not air blast as this would most likely force dust and dirt past the shaft into the bushing causing more bad than good on the bushing.
He stated it runs so it's good to go not needing to scrap it out. These old dogs will run for ever just add 6-10 drops of oil once a year in the oil caps, do not over oil.

i shop vac'd as much dirt out as possible and put oil in the caps - i press on the felt to make sure it soaked up the oil - doesn't squeek anymore.
hooked up the belt and chain and boy does it eat grain!
threw a handful of birdseed in with whole corn and sunflower seeds to see what it would do - didn't even slow down - crushed it perfectly.

thanks for all the help

i shop vac'd as much dirt out as possible and put oil in the caps - i press on the felt to make sure it soaked up the oil - doesn't squeek anymore.
hooked up the belt and chain and boy does it eat grain!
threw a handful of birdseed in with whole corn and sunflower seeds to see what it would do - didn't even slow down - crushed it perfectly.

thanks for all the help

Nice!

This is the kind of thing I would put an E-stop or two on. Heaven forbid hair, a sleeve, or appendage get stuck in the thing.... It would just be bad bad news. Something to consider.

Nice!

This is the kind of thing I would put an E-stop or two on. Heaven forbid hair, a sleeve, or appendage get stuck in the thing.... It would just be bad bad news. Something to consider.

Never crush grain in the nude!

It sounds like it's been sittng a long time and was totally dry. I would lean towards the 10-12 drops of oil as the felt wicks are also dry.

Back