What do you do during a 90 minute boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you do with your time during a 90 minute boil.

• Contemplate how much better your rig could be.

• Jam on some air guitar while listening to your favorite band.

• Play video games.

• Help SHMBO with random chores.

Results are only viewable after voting.

rjhockey

Reaction score
I was just sitting here watching my 90 minute IPA boil away and I m wondering what people do while they wait.. Other than the obvious DRINK.

I've tried that a few times.. I have had issues where i got into it and didn't see the boil over that was about to happen... bye bye 5oz of wort.

drink, um... then i drink, and then umm.. drink while adding hops...then uh, i think i drink after that too. throw chain smoking in there and you've got a 90 minute boil...

During my boil is when I start getting together my fermenter, auto-siphon, chiller, etc, and then start cleaning and I sanitize when I add my chiller to my pot. I also start weighing my hops and adding them. I almost always do a 60 minute boil, not a 90 minute boil, so I don't have quite as much time to kill. Once I get the hot break, I add the hops and start cleaning/sanitizing the stuff I need at the next step.

Until recently, I used to have to sit close by the brewpot constantly adjusting the flame so as to keep a rolling boil without boiling over. Now I use fermcap drops so now, instead, I can clean up, surf HBT, shag momma, and what not (all the while drinking homebrew of course). The boil takes care of itself.

I almost never drink during brewing now. Usually the most critical part is POST boil so you don't want to F this up.

Usually i'll get everything cleaned up, the area that i've been weighing grain out, emptying the mash tun etc. The last thing you want is a mammoth cleaning task after you've pitched the yeast.

I usually clean up the mess I have made. Yesterday I did some bottling.

Now during the mash I usually go for a run. During the sparge yesterday (I do long, slow sparges, the way they like 'em!) I cut the grass!

I almost never drink during brewing now. Usually the most critical part is POST boil so you don't want to F this up.

Usually i'll get everything cleaned up, the area that i've been weighing grain out, emptying the mash tun etc. The last thing you want is a mammoth cleaning task after you've pitched the yeast.

As everyone said, clean and prep, start putting stuff away that I no longer need.

+1 on not drinking. I once went through almost a 12 pack of longhammer during a brew session once. I took an OG reading about 6 times. I kept thinking, 'Oh, I can remember these 4 digits, I dont need to write it down.' Finally, after the sixth sample, I wrote it down. I might have A beer now during the boil after everything else is done.

I did this today - my alarm went off at 5:45 AM because I live in Texas and by the time I mash and sparge it is about 8:30 - and it gets real hot real fast boiling 6 1/2 gallons on the turkey frier outside. I started at 6:00 getting everything out and organized and the water heating for the mash, and I ended almost right at 12:00 noon putting the last of the cleaned equipment away. That is 6 hours of brewing - in between boils and mashing I am working frantically getting the next step ready and prepped to try and cut down on that 6 hours. Not that I don't enjoy brewing - but 6 hours of non-stop action is quite a bit.

I think you should add another entry in your poll - get ready for the next step...

I'm concerned about this option
"Help SHMBO with random chores."

She-He Must be obeyed????????

Not that theres anything wrong with that...just sayin.

Yeah, they can take a good 60 minutes to dismember and bury, and I'm always misplacing my lime. Another fine reason for a 90 minute boil.

Or did you mean something different?

-Joe

I think you meant Lye, I won't make that mistake twice...

I help nostalgia with the digging i am in school for drilling of course i know my way in around the ground....

Sometimes I read, this weekend I hooked the old turbografx up for some "blazing lazers" action. most of the time i'm just on here though... I brew in my basement which is also my office. I usually wait to start drinking while the second batch sparge is sitting.

Masturbate, what the heck else am I going to do? That's more than enough time to rub one out, recover and rub out another before I need to start sanitizing the wort chiller.

prep for the next step. Rigging the counter flow chiller. And oh yes on occasion have an icee cold beverage

Today I cleaned out the mash tun, then sanitized carboy and all cold side stuff. Normally have my first beer during the boil.

Once that boil starts it gives me a couple of minutes to think about my life, all my dreams, where I am versus where I wanted to be. Then I spend the next 88 minutes sobbing...but, then it's right back to brewing beer!

All but the SWMBO bit. Throw a slab on vinyl on the turntable, turn on the PS3, and dread the hour-plus or so it's going to take to chill that brewpot down in the sink. And of course RDWHAHB.

I really dont do any of those (of course I contemplate how much better my rig could be). Mostly I brew with my buddies and we just chill around the boil, adding hops when necessary, drinking beer and just enjoying the morning/day/night/ whatever it may be. Do a little prep if its needed, clean anything that needs to be cleaned. But nothing really else, when brewing the SWMBO knows its brew time, not chore time :)

Another non drinker during the brew session. I just sit outside in the Texas heat and watch the pot boil. I also just do a 60 minute boil so it's not as long. The second hop addition is 45 minutes later so it's really not that long. I do get the fermentor ready.

90 minute boil isn't nearly as dull as a 90 minute mash.

Both are excellent opportunities for a cigar and fetch with the dog.

Clean, baby, clean! I'm down to a 4.5 to 5 hr brew day for 5 gallon batch. I also use brew day to clean any other equipment, like kegs and I usually re-clean and sanitize the fermentor I will be using.

Also a non-drinker until the chiller is running. Shot myself with the Dumb Dart too damned many times sippin suds earlier in the brewing process.

Have a new Eee PC now, so I can do the mobil thing and have my netbook running while I brew. Now I can enter my info in Promash realtime and hang around here on brewdays.

Back