My Brewery is Done.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawdustguy

Reaction score
I took last week off to finish up my brewery. I have been using it all along but up until last week it looked like a Rube Goldberg setup. I still have a few odds and ends to do like fashion a preforated metal enclosure around the RIMS heater etc. See the pictures below. You can go to my gallery for larger pictures. Ask any questions about the brewery you wish.

I also want to say thank you to everyone here at Homebrewtalk.com. Without you, I never would have attempted to build the brewery. I kinda felt as if you were right there with me during the build to answer questions.

black_dog1.jpg

black_dog2.jpg

black_dog3.jpg

black_dog4.jpg

That's a serious-looking control panel!

Congrats, it's awesome. :mug:

Being done, does that mean you are leaving all of those electrical connections exposed?.

BTW, that looks freakin' awesome.. :mug:

I still have a few odds and ends to do like fashion a preforated metal enclosure around the RIMS heater etc.

Back in the first post I mention I have to build an enclosure around the RIMS heater so nobody gets an instant afro.

There's a house for sale on my street... sure you don't want to move to Florida???

Geez Louise...that's a nice setup. I hope one day, I can get organized enough to make a rig like that. I'm sure it beats lifting kegs over my head with hot water for sparging...and moving kegs on and off the single cajun cooker.

Thanks for posting the setup...

Sweet!

So, it appears you have both RIMS and the ability to direct fire the mash tun, correct? BTW I like your burner mounts, very simple and clean.

Looks great! Very professional. How much $$$ do you think you have into it? Minus the blood, sweat, and beers :D

After all is said and done about $2200. The figure is high because I am a lazy cuss. I do weld, but decided it would take forever for me to build the frame so my wife came to the rescue and bought me the frame. It is a hybrid RIMS system. I have a natural gas HLT and Boil Kettle with an electric RIM heater using a 1500 watt low density element. I control the HLT temperture for precise strike and sparge temps with a Honeywell Intermittent Pilot Gas Valve controlled with a PID. I had a blast building it. Like I said in my first post, without the help of everyone here at Homebrewtalk.com it would never have been built. I learned a ton of stuff from you guys.

After all is said and done about $2200. The figure is high because I am a lazy cuss. I do weld, but decided it would take forever for me to build the frame so my wife came to the rescue and bought me the frame. It is a hybrid RIMS system. I have a natural gas HLT and Boil Kettle with an electric RIM heater using a 1500 watt low density element. I control the HLT temperture for precise strike and sparge temps with a Honeywell Intermittent Pilot Gas Valve controlled with a PID. I had a blast building it. Like I said in my first post, without the help of everyone here at Homebrewtalk.com it would never have been built. I learned a ton of stuff from you guys.

Wow, that sounds really neat. I like the hybrid-ness of it. I went back and looked at the picture after your explanations and what I see makes alot more sense now. Is the 1500 W element 120 V?

Does this mean the wifey knows the total cost of your system and your still alive to talk about it, wow your lucky? Mine will flip out if I mention another couple March pumps need to ordered sa they went with my last brewery. A off that was too great besides it was my first gas brewery went electric sold that one also. She's a keeper, brewery and the wifey that is. Looks great there bro.
I do see one item besides the heat exchanger which I would insulate before covering as well the lines in and out plus a cover over your terminal strip, add a pin hole cover over your SSR then your good to go. So no little or big kids (fellow brewers after too many) poking fingers at the pretty terminals. The other item is on the end of the stand under your boil pot I would add a gusset or square tube to each leg to bridge that corner for more support as that is a sharp high stress point should you roll the stand catching a caster in an expansion joint or garage slab step up. Just an idea as it's a clean system bar none. My frends pumps were solid piped in stainless without unions, this became a problem when he had hops inside his pump a few times making it harder to take apart. You need a "Time To Brew" big green knob with a matching big green pop in flush on lamp with a smile face on the label.

Wow, that's awesome. I can't wait until my brewery gets that organized. Right now it looks like a meth lab that came from kmart.

I still have a few odds and ends to do like fashion a preforated metal enclosure around the RIMS heater etc.

Perforated metal sounds all wrong to me. Potential for water to get in. I would go with a lexan box or similar with some vents on the bottom. Will Lexan handle the heat? Don't know but thought I would get the wheels turning. Coolness factor of being able to see whats inside to impress the neighbors! LOL

Otherwise you are my hero! Nice looking set up.

Looks nice! Though, I was expecting to see a picture/logo of a "black dog" somewhere? :D

My brother is going to have a plaque make to attach to the brewery. His company has an X/Y table with a Laser on it for burning wood. You can feed it a Ray Trace of your image and it will burn it into a piece of wood. It's gonna cost me a Corny Keg of Homebrew Stout.

Perforated metal sounds all wrong to me. Potential for water to get in. I would go with a lexan box or similar with some vents on the bottom. Will Lexan handle the heat? Don't know but thought I would get the wheels turning. Coolness factor of being able to see whats inside to impress the neighbors! LOL

Otherwise you are my hero! Nice looking set up.

Ya know, my wife said the same thing. I think you are both right. I think I can do that pretty easily and I don't have to worry about bending sheet metal.

My brother is going to have a plaque make to attach to the brewery. His company has an X/Y table with a Laser on it for burning wood. You can feed it a Ray Trace of your image and it will burn it into a piece of wood. It's gonna cost me a Corny Keg of Homebrew Stout.

Sounds like steep price for your BROTHER to take 10 minutes out of his at work.
I could do that for you for a 6 pack if you lived close, and I barely know you! (my company sells lasers and I service them)

Back