My Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gssmind

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just wanted to share some pictures of my kegerator that I just finished.
Hopefully this will make DIY Kegerator a bit more fun.

Started With This
00%20Started%20With%20This%20resize.jpeg

Perfect Fit
01%20Perfect%20Fit_resize.jpeg

Holes For Pipes
02%20Holes%20For%20Pipes_resize.jpeg

Getting Further I
03%20Getting%20Further%20I_resize.jpeg

Are you using the braided tubing for the beer lines? Looks to be too large IMO. What size is the tubing and is it working OK for you?

I like gargoyles a lot.

The gargoyle is strong/sturdy enough to handle people pulling on the tap?

Na, I have to be very careful with it. Tried using Gorilla glue but it kept dripping down like tears due to gravity, so I have to come up with another option.

I was hesitant to put Gorilla glue before because the Shank would be there permanently. But for now I have used some just around the edges along with some Super Glue.

Are you using the braided tubing for the beer lines? Looks to be too large IMO. What size is the tubing and is it working OK for you?

I like gargoyles a lot.

Yeah I am using braided tubing for beer and gas as those were the only Food Grade tubing I could find at Lowes.
The tubing is 5/16" in size and its working great.

Wow, 5/16" braided line? I would expect lost of foaming with that. How many feet? What pressure?

Usually for a keggerator we use 5-10 feet of 3/16 beer grade line from a beverage supply.

Also, you should add a small fan (1" will do) to blow cold air up into the gargoyle to keep the lines cool.

Otherwise.. That looks awesome!

Hey, you should make some tap handles with eye balls on top of them. That would be so creepy!

I'm going to reinforce Denny's comment about the beer lines. The 5/16" is fine for the co2 but for the beer, you must be running very low carbonation. Get beer line at your homebrew store.
For the gargoyle, consider some of that epoxy sold in fastener supply shops, E2000 orE something, you could fill in parts of the base, then drill and tap it from below. It could be used to reinforce other areas, too, like around the shanks, and then drill/file to size.
Just some ideas.

Looks very nice! How about dressing up the fridge to look like the corner of a building? Like something you would see in Manhattan.

I was a big fan of the Gargoyles cartoon series. I know, I know, grow up already. :D

Wow, 5/16" braided line? I would expect lost of foaming with that. How many feet? What pressure?

Usually for a keggerator we use 5-10 feet of 3/16 beer grade line from a beverage supply.

Also, you should add a small fan (1" will do) to blow cold air up into the gargoyle to keep the lines cool.

Otherwise.. That looks awesome!

Hey, you should make some tap handles with eye balls on top of them. That would be so creepy!

Yeah my friends told me the same thing; just happened to be that I was so impatient and did not wait for our 3/16 100 feet beer grade pipe to arrive.
And yes you are right it do foam a bit more than usual; I have it set to 16 psi now and it do seem like its carbonating but a bit slower than expected.
Also I did not close the gap between pips and gargoyle's feet so when I touch the gargoyle it actually quite nice an cold.
The beer lines are 6 feet right now; but I am waiting till my IPA gets ready so I can test and see if I need to make my adjustments.

I am tempted with the Eye Ball modification idea and will run by Home Depot today and see if I can find something.
May be color it Red or something to make it look even creeper and evil. Just like DryHopHead said "It will keep all the evil spirits away"

That fan must be helping to push some cold air in your gap. Once your beer is carbed, and it takes at least a week using just serving pressure alone, it will shoot out fast and foamy. You'll appreciate the 3/16 line, and want to start with 10' each and work your way back from there, for me 8' seems to be the spot, ymmv.
Great looking keg box!

That fan must be helping to push some cold air in your gap. Once your beer is carbed, and it takes at least a week using just serving pressure alone, it will shoot out fast and foamy. You'll appreciate the 3/16 line, and want to start with 10' each and work your way back from there, for me 8' seems to be the spot, ymmv.
Great looking keg box!

Yeah I have to wait on it to give that a shot its a bit pain full to disassemble the thing.
Main concern is to put that cold beer somewhere till i get done as I definitely don't want that cold beer to get below 38 degrees.
Have some plans till June 5th.

I am tempted with the Eye Ball modification idea and will run by Home Depot today and see if I can find something.
May be color it Red or something to make it look even creeper and evil. Just like DryHopHead said "It will keep all the evil spirits away"

It's 3/8" standard thread. Home deopt has various threaded inserts etc you could use.

Also, +1 on that epoxy. I have some stuff that is two part. Comes as a stick, with part 1 inside and part 2 the oustide layer. Drys rock hard within minutes. Can be die and tapped etc.

It's 3/8" standard thread. Home deopt has various threaded inserts etc you could use.

Also, +1 on that epoxy. I have some stuff that is two part. Comes as a stick, with part 1 inside and part 2 the oustide layer. Drys rock hard within minutes. Can be die and tapped etc.

I will definitely give the epoxy stuff a try; unfortunately I have to wait till June; I am leaving next week to go out of country and won't be back till June.

Back