small set-up advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpastor

Beer, not rocket chemistry
Reaction score
I want to build a small (5 gallon) all-grain system. I have been thinking about it a long time and am ready to get moving on it.

I have two kettles like the one I have posted below. I have to figure out if I cut off the jacket and direct fire or play with steam. My feeling is to go with direct fire and cut the jacket, but I want to keep the pivoting action.

Thoughts and suggestion? Maybe I should sell them and buy a couple nice pots.

P1000623.jpg

Seems a shame to cut them. To look at it another way, it would be much easier to DIY a similar dumping mechanism for a regular pot/keggle than it would be to fab and weld a pretty jacket like that.

Couldn't you just fill the steam jacket with water or cooking oil and use that as a medium to transfer the heat to the main pot? Then you can drain it and even pump cold water through it to cool the wort. I've used those pots before, just never looked into alternate heating methods.

Back