kolsche recipe - opinions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carl_g

Reaction score
EDIT: I realize I spelled Kolsch wrong in the title and I am not allowed to edit it.. LOL!
ok..
I based this recipe off of edwort's AG kolsch recipe. I made a couple changes what do you guys think about what I came up with? Any feedback is appreciated.

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.00 lb Pilsner Liquid Extract [Boil for 15 min] Extract 53.33 %
2.00 lb Pilsner Liquid Extract (3.5 SRM) Extract 26.67 %
1.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 20.00 %
0.85 oz Pearle [8.00 %] (60 min) Hops 16.4 IBU
0.42 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] (15 min) Hops 2.3 IBU
0.42 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] (5 min) Hops 0.9 IBU
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs German Ale/Kolsch (White Labs #WLP029)

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.045 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.40 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 29.6 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 4.4 SRM

The tettnang hops will add a spicy character, especially since they are added late in the boil. It will be a German ale and I'm sure it will be delicious. It is fun to play with different hops to get a feel for how they influence the flavor. Amarillo is one of my other favorites besides noble hops like tett and hallertauer.

Check out this recipe for comparison:
German Kolsh Ale, 2008 | Brewer's Friend

PROST!

The tettnang hops will add a spicy character, especially since they are added late in the boil. It will be a German ale and I'm sure it will be delicious. It is fun to play with different hops to get a feel for how they influence the flavor. Amarillo is one of my other favorites besides noble hops like tett and hallertauer.

Check out this recipe for comparison:
German Kolsh Ale, 2008 | Brewer's Friend

PROST!
Yeah, I based it on edwort's all grain recipe. I was a little concerned that 1.5 pounds of Cara-Pils might be too much but I needed that to get the OG in the range for the style. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Back