Freezer Temp Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluespook

Reaction score
Hey, folks--I am actively looking for a chest freezer to mostly fement. I understand about using a separate controller to maintain the lower temps, but I am wondering about how to control or maintain a higher temp. More particularly, how do you suggest I set it up to hold a higher temp, say 72 degrees? I've read about controllers that work on both upper and lower temps, but the one I read about suggested a 100 watt bulb...would this provide sufficient heat? What other options are there?

Obviously, I'm a newbe, so I hope I don't sound too ignorant.

Blue

http://www.northernbrewer.com/temp-control.html

the freezer is going to want to warm up on it's own. Use a temp controller to keep cooling it as needed. But I see you are in PA and its going to get cold in the winter. Maybe someone who doesnt live in the desert will chime in on how they fix that problem

and welcome to the insanity

100 watt bulb seems a bit much. In the winter I use a 25 watt bulb to maintain temps and it works very well. My fermentation freezer is even in an uninsulated out building. The bulb goes in the freezer and is on all the time. If it gets too warm the freezer comes on and cools it back down.

For next winter I'm going to get one of these so I won't have to worry about keeping the carboys covered with towels to keep the light out.

If you are talking about it being cold out and keeping it warm, why not just keep it in the house.

Well, for me, I like to control my fermentation temps pretty closely. It's not a case of keeping it warm, it's keeping it at +/- a couple of degrees of desired temp. Just having it inside doesn't ensure proper temp. That means some sort of insulated enclosure, and my conical needs a fridge to fit in. I didn't want a fridge in my living room, so the garage is where it ended up.

:mug:

Yeah the SWMBO didn't like the idea of a chest freezer in the living room either. So I built a fermentation cabinet. Just need to stain it, but can't find the time..

Thanks, guys, for your suggestions and comments. I now have a better idea of what my options are.

Blue

Back