Scare mongoring - CO2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Co2 tanks need to be checked every so often, it should say so right on the tank and have a date of last inspection. Most places that fill wont fill and out of date tank.

in the US, they check this stuff pretty hardcore.

my gas filling place rapes me on the price...and are one of 3 places in town to get a fill and only 2 places in town to get an empty cylinder.

But you know I'd never really thought about it before, and I bet its WAY more common to see pubs/bars getting 'bad gas' since to them its all about the profit margin, while we simply would like to save a buck or two but its not that big a deal in the long run.

Yeah, in the US they're very strict; I had to go to three different gas suppliers before I found one that did testing and could then fill my tank. It was kinda obnoxious but I guess that knowing your tank is safe was worth it.

I hear you on the raping, my local welding supply house exchanges my 25# tank for $19, but my brand new 5# pretty aluminum tank is going to cost me $15 and take a week to come back to me. What sucks is it is so handy to have the 5# for parties or using around the brewery. I just wish I could refill it off my 25# that has taken me a year to empty serving kegs.

I found a condom in a keg hand pump once, apparently they used it for a seal before we got it for a party way back in college. Luckily I had my CO2 setup and went home to get it so I drank for free that night. Then we took the pump back in and got a discount on our next keg, so it all worked out but ewwwww.

It's not that there is anything wrong with the Co2 itself, it's the tank.

anyone care to explain what tests are performed when you need it? is it a structural issue, to make sure the cylinder isn't damaged and won't explode? what is it that could happen to a cylinder to cause it to fail?

SenorWanderer said:
anyone care to explain what tests are performed when you need it? is it a structural issue, to make sure the cylinder isn't damaged and won't explode? what is it that could happen to a cylinder to cause it to fail?

The test is a hydrostatic test, often refered to as a hydro. For a detailed explanation of the test check this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrostatic_test

The most common reason for failure is rusting of the tank. For this reason you don't ever want to let your tank bleed completely out ( i.e. don't open the valve without the regulator attached) and leave the valve open. The humidity in the air can begin the rusting process. The rust will create a weak spot that can eventually fail. The rusting process may take years before it actually gets weak enough to be a problem. Even if you are always careful not to let room air in, you don't know if a previous owner has, especially if you exchange tanks rather than refill. The hydrostat test is cheap insurance against what could be fatal consequences.

Normally I have my tanks refilled. However, when they are with a year of needing recertification, I take them to a place that exchanges tanks. This way I avoid having to pay for testing. It usually costs me $2-3 more to exchange than refill, but that is a big savings in having to pay $20-25 for the test.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company

I find the pictures of the rusty tanks a bit humorous as the tanks are all hydro tested and most are never dried out before the valve is screwed in and the tank is refilled. Would not be surprised to see most of the spun steel tanks in use are rusted on the inside.

kladue said:
I find the pictures of the rusty tanks a bit humorous as the tanks are all hydro tested and most are never dried out before the valve is screwed in and the tank is refilled. Would not be surprised to see most of the spun steel tanks in use are rusted on the inside.

Gauranteed you're right. No mention of the fact that you could hdryo test a tank today, and it could develope a leak tomorrow.

Either way, I'm heading out to the garage to disconnect my tank and giving up kegging, .....just to be safe.:D

Back