Could use some help on re-fermenting a bulk aged tripel.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigBeer4All

Reaction score
last year i brewed a beer somewhere between a tripel and a golden strong, thats been in secondary for around 9 months now and im getting ready to bottle it. i plan on going to style and carbing upwards of 3 volumes and bottling in corked and caged belgian 750ml bottles.

since its been sitting so long im sure that most of the yeast have fallen out of suspension and would like to add new yeast for bottling. ive never done this before, so im here to ask what type of yeast i should use, how much i should used(i have a 1l erlynmeyer flask to make a starter) and if i should add sugar with the new yeast as well.

the current abv is somewhere between 10 and 11%abv since i underestimated efficiency at the time.:drunk:

any help would be appreciated. thanks.

What you are trying to do is difficult at best.
I would seriously consider force-carbing with a CO2 tank and bottling after.
Bottle conditioning anything outside the norm is tricky, and you are on the far end of that outside. New yeast introduced may or may not succeed. If you insist, I'd put about 1g hydrated and go-fermed S-33 in (just hydrate the whole sachet, and dose out by liquid volume) with 6.5-7 oz dextrose into solid bottles (fliptops or caged/corked or crown-finish champagne.) Condition at 75° for three weeks, then room temp until you see that a couple of 24-hr chilled bottles show good carbonation before cellaring at <50°.

wow, you guys are quick. im in no rush, so im going to do some googling tomorrow, when im not so tired. this is a good starting point. i had suspected champagne yeast was the way to go, just wasnt sure if i should get it going with some DME first, how much, and if i should add sugar. i see the s-33 is a belgian strain. the yeast i used for primary fermentation was Wyeast 3739-PC Flanders Golden Ale Yeast and i would kind of like to keep that as the main flavor profile, since it made me a beautiful belgian single, of which i pitched the tripel/strong onto the yeast bed of.

also i dont have the capability to force carb. i dont keg my beer so i have none of the equipment.

Your conditioning yeast will not affect the profile. I'd recommend against any Champagne yeast since most of them are super-attenuative and you don't know how much of your residual sugars will carbonate. I don't suppose you kept a slurry of the Flanders around did you?

nope, i did not(although i wish i did, figured i could just get bottle cultures since i hadnt planned on re-yeasting). thoughts on using my thief to take a sample and try to grow up a culture? too much work? too much risk for oxidation/infection?

thoughts= too much trouble. S-33 will do the same job with zero adverse affects.

well, im partially retarded.

i have 5 22's left of the belgian single i brewed with the flanders golden, prior to using the slurry for the tripel. just gotta drink one and start up a btch of yeast with the dregs. going to have to look into how much to use though.

i would add champagne yeast, 1/3-1/2 pack, champagne yeast are not super attenuative, they are just alcohol tolerant so most of the time there is nothing left for them to eat beside priming sugar when you bottle with them, if you want to be sure you not making bottle bombs just pitch champagne yeast to the carboy day or 2 before bottling.

What you are trying to do is difficult at best.
I would seriously consider force-carbing with a CO2 tank and bottling after.
Bottle conditioning anything outside the norm is tricky, and you are on the far end of that outside. New yeast introduced may or may not succeed. If you insist, I'd put about 1g hydrated and go-fermed S-33 in (just hydrate the whole sachet, and dose out by liquid volume) with 6.5-7 oz dextrose into solid bottles (fliptops or caged/corked or crown-finish champagne.) Condition at 75° for three weeks, then room temp until you see that a couple of 24-hr chilled bottles show good carbonation before cellaring at <50°.

THIS

I have a keg of a tripel I brewed in October of last year.
Gonna be great when I tap it this winter!

Back