when do i transfer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dionysus42

Reaction score
I started a batch of "Wassail" mead from Charlie Papazian's book Brewing Mead (in case anyone else has read it). It has been fermenting well for about a month now and I think its getting near ready to transfer. The book is kind of vague about the end of the fermentation. I said the mead would become fairly clear and from there I would needs to siphon it to a second carboy and let it sit for three more weeks or until the yeast settles again. My mead is kind of an amber clear right now. I have been monitoring the CO2 bubbles and rate of escape (I use a standard fermentation lock on a five gallon carboy). When it started the gas welled up in the water of the fermentation lock for 2 seconds and then escaped. Over the last month or so i have seen it change to 4 seconds, then 8, and just today 10. There are still plenty of bubbles flowing, but definitely less than before. My main question here is; Should there be no CO2 bubbles when I transfer, is that the proper time? Also, really how clear should the mead be?

I'd wait until it is down to twice a minute. It will continue fermenting and clearing in the secondary, maybe as long as 6 months.

There are several schools of thought on racking. For years I have been racking about once a month. Maybe more because I was shown that way. But with the last 2 batches I have not been racking the same way. I now know a a couple brewers that don't rack very much at all. So I would say no sooner than 30 days, but check your gravity.

Really Mead can and should be crystal clear. Before I bottle I do a light test with high intensity light with the vial I do the hydrometer test in. Shine the light through it and look at it with a white back ground (white paper works). It should shine.

Ive got a mead ive had going for almost a year. I think i racked it a total of three or four times. I racked it the other day and it didnt start fermenting so i think its about done. Now I get to try bottling wine for the first time soon.

I would check the gravity every couple of days for a week to insure it is finished. I do believe as long as it been that it would be done but checking is always the best bet. A lot of times it is just throwing off the CO2 that is suspended after the 6 month period.

Best of luck in your bottling! I would use a bottling wand/cane on the first few batches. I still like to use them as it puts it to the correct level and saves me from splashing and wasting precious ounces!

the main purpose of racking (besides clarifying) is to get it off the yeast before it autolyzes. about 1 month in primary on average, or when its truly done fermenting.
a lot less yeast in secondary so its more 'stable'.
if you put it to tertiary and saw no yeast sediment after a month, I think its safe to say its not going to get any off flavors from yeast die-off...you could bulk age quite some time this way if necessary.

Latest posts

Back