The Curve of Mead Goodness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmead

Reaction score
Suppose I have an 18% rasberry mead bottled nine months ago and one year old now. When does it generally peak in taste quality and decline in taste quality?

Suppose I have an 18% rasberry mead bottled nine months ago and one year old now. When does it generally peak in taste quality and decline in taste quality?

I would crack open a bottle and give it a go. If its really "Hot" on the Fusal Alcohol that will subside with age and it will smooth out. Some Meads take Years to fully develope. The rule is the higher the ABV% the longer it will take to mature. Most meads 8-14% I would say a year. Something as high as 18% could take serveral years to come around. Your mead should last many many years in the bottle if bottled and stored properly. Try Using the #9 corks as they are better for long storage. Their are stories of people finding bottles they made 10yrs ago and being outstanding. Mead is an Alcohol that lends itself well to long aging.

Back