Finishing high gravity brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HItransplant

Reaction score
I have a big imperial stout in primary right now that I think has finished high. Split ferment with WLP007 and a Belgian yeast harvested from a bottle of abyss.

OG was calculated as 1142 (calc from preboil and volume loss). Higher than I expected.

It's been 4 weeks and the Belgian yeast has dropped it's share to 1043, while the WLP007 has only made it to 1056. Dont think this is stalled as much as the yeast is just drunk..

Question is, can I get it to drop some more?

WLP099?

You got 61 and 70% attenuation, and 11.5 and 13% abv.

I think yeast gave up because of the alcohol. I've never made a beer that big, so I would not be sure how to bring it down further. Probably best to use a cake or big active starter.

It also depends on how many fermentables you have left. If you used lactose, or a lot of specialty grains, you might not have much left.

Calder said:
You got 61 and 70% attenuation, and 11.5 and 13% abv.

I think yeast gave up because of the alcohol. I've never made a beer that big, so I would not be sure how to bring it down further. Probably best to use a cake or big active starter.

It also depends on how many fermentables you have left. If you used lactose, or a lot of specialty grains, you might not have much left.

I agree, drunk yeast.. Tho not bad considering white labs says 10% is top end for 007.

I don't think a big cake or starter will do anything unless it's of the right yeast...and that's what I'm wondering... Which yeast?

I didnt use lactose or an overwhelming amount of specialty grains. But, I did put molasses in it, which I thought would lean it out a bit.

YEAST STRAIN: 3711**|**French Saison

Back to Yeast Strain List

A very versatile strain that produces Saison or farmhouse style biers as well as other Belgian style beers that are highly aromatic (estery), peppery, spicy and citrusy. This strain enhances the use of spices and aroma hops, and is extremely attenuative but leaves an unexpected silky and rich mouthfeel. This strain can also be used to re-start stuck fermentations or in high gravity beers.

I have never tried this, but this yeast is a beast. I have used it sevel times. It chews through just about anything.. Believe me it is a hard working yeast.

beergolf said:
I have never tried this, but this yeast is a beast. I have used it sevel times. It chews through just about anything.. Believe me it is a hard working yeast.

Im hoping to limit any additional flavor contributions... Will I get a lot of esters using this to finish?

Back