SE Mass - 60 Gal.: Turbid Mash Lambic Brew Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How does Cape get his backed in?

Its 10 feet shorter than mine

IMG_0850.jpg

His truck is also shorter than mine

We're not gonna have enough grill space

I think I pretty much have to bring the Weber kettle grill

These things are pretty friggin yoooge.

$10/steak, cant beat that

Just so I'm up to date, what are we doing about the beer in the barrel tomorrow? I have bottles and I'm in the process of rebuilding 2 kegs right now but if we just rack it to another vessel I'm cool with that.

Now that's a quote for a sig!:rockin:

As far as the steaks go, we should have Cape start a fire in his pig pit and smoke them for the day. Or have PTN bring Bertha.

And, I have great news; my grandmother is back home! :ban:

Ten feet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The ony way to cook these steaks is over RED HOT COALS
OR
Red Hot Flames

These are freakin Porterhouse steaks man

Great news on your grandmother!

Just so I'm up to date, what are we doing about the beer in the barrel tomorrow? I have bottles and I'm in the process of rebuilding 2 kegs right now but if we just rack it to another vessel I'm cool with that.

I have no idea other than I'll be bringing Franks home with me to drop off to him.
I wasnt really in on that brew last year as I could only show for a few hours.
My only thought was it might be pushing it trying to bottle all that beer up AND do this brew in the same day.

I think if two guys bottle and others take theirs in kegs it would make it a smoother process. I am pretty sure PTN is bottling his share Saturday.

Yeah I talked to PTN and he's planning on bottling. I picked up our cases of bottles and Steve's corker tonight. I'm loading up the truck now and if I can get my kegs done I'll bring those too. Guess I'll play it by ear.

After a few minor false starts it went well. It also went well into the night. I got home around 10 and I left 15 minutes after the last 5 gallons got bucketed into the barrel. I think we hit very near to Babalu's target OG. Had some difficulty sustaining a vigorous boil in one of the big pots but we boiled close to 100 gallons down to 60ish and that's going to take some time regardless.

The "Consecration inspired" brew is great, a beer flavored Sweet Tart. You'll be happy with it

PTN

Besides the rain and Rick taking a digger things went smoothly.

A couple notes I made,

We drew our turbid runnings without much problem and used only a fraction of the rice hulls we thought we'd need.

I use a cooler for a mash tun and noticed I didn't need as much boiling water as dictated in the BYO article or Wild Brews to hit each rest. You're better off using less water at first, checking your temp, then adding more if you need to.

You probably don't need to use a colander or strainer to pull the turbid portion from the mash but keep one by just in case. I started that way but found we were able to just drain our runnings as usual via manifold, SS braid, etc.

Besides the rain and Rick taking a digger things went smoothly.

A couple notes I made,

We drew our turbid runnings without much problem and used only a fraction of the rice hulls we thought we'd need.

I use a cooler for a mash tun and noticed I didn't need as much boiling water as dictated in the BYO article or Wild Brews to hit each rest. You're better off using less water at first, checking your temp, then adding more if you need to.

You probably don't need to use a colander or strainer to pull the turbid portion from the mash but keep one by just in case. I started that way but found we were able to just drain our runnings as usual via manifold, SS braid, etc.

Hey, I didn't get hurt, so that's good. My wrist is a little sore, but that's it. Could have been bad since the water was boiling just a few minutes prior.

I probably started with too much water, because I was a little bit soupy. It all worked out, and I bet it's gonna be a fantastic beer.

I did find my SS braid in shambles today when cleaning my equipment. I need to get a false bottom...

I think the reason we were ablel to run off without the colander was that the crush on the raw wheat sucked. We got our grains pre-crushed and the wheat was suspect. We ultimately short-armed the OG slightly and given we ran 100 freakin gallons of water over an hour and a half through that grain bill I gotta believe the crush was a real factor. If that crush was what it was supposed to be i'm curious if we would have still been able to run off like we were

I'll agree with CB
If the crush on the wheat was better the efficiency would have been better.
I didnt add rice hulls until the very end and dont know if I really needed them though having a sack of them in the bullpen was nice.

All said we were pretty close, nobody got hurt and the beer was fermenting at 10 AM when I went to look at it Sunday morning.

Rain could have held off though........................

Next year
Have North Country double crush the wheat.

Turbid mash = NOT scary, I'll probably do one on a Wit this weekend.

Drinkswell.
Its hard to quantify what amounts of water/turbid to use when there are different temp rests without knowing what the brewer/s who wrote the article have for a mash tun thermal mash etc.
It would be nice if they listed their equipment, etc. though.

I went out to NY this past Sunday and brought a pack-o-goodies to the barrel guy. He's thrilled with what he got, in addition to the half dozen bottles of our brew I dropped by Julio's on the way and brought him out some Duchess, some Monk's Cafe, a gueze, a saison, a few whits, a double and a triple. Beer selection in the Finger Lakes region is iffy at best. He's going to be heading to Maine in the late fall for some bird hunting and I convinced him to add an extra day onto his trip and he'll drop by my place and we'll spend a day brewing. He'll have a new (old) barrel in the back of his truck when he gets here. We need to start planning our next barrel brew. YippeeKiYay, MoFo!

PTN

Great news about the barrel.

I'll throw my hat in on another Lambic.

If we want to make Gueze this would be a great head start as the beers would be about 6 months apart. My plan regardless is to keg half my share of the Lambic when the time comes and bottle the rest so I can make Gueze down the road.

MEH
A good rinse and a year + for those buggies to eat all them tannins.......

A Rose Lambic doesnt sound half bad anyway.
Think of the labels

Cantillon-Rose-bio.jpg

Still got a decent krausen as of last night. I was waiting for it to fall out a little bit and then I'll top it off with what's in the separate fermenter.

Wonder how much will be left in the sanke once the barrel is topped up.
Might be nice to put in a gallon jug or two so we can have a nice starter ready to go for the next sowah beeah.

I know the Kate the Great in my basement is FULL UP

I've got a couple of empty 3 gallon carboys hanging around if we'll have 3 gallons left after the initial top off. If we have less we'll just have to use Carlo Rossi's.

I don't know what sort of wine he has in the barrel. It depends on what he's bottling at the time. It's an ongoing process there but he will be emptying out a LOT of barrels at that time because it's just after harvest and he'll have his new wines ready to go into them.

If anyone gets out to the Finger Lakes over the summer, and it's a trip I HIGHLY recommend, stop by and see Don at Catharine Valley Wines in Burdett, NY. It's on the eastern shore of Seneca Lake. When you leave Watkins Glen and head up the lake stay to the left on Rt 414 and Don's is the first vineyard and winery you come to. It's on the left and if he's there (and he's ALWAYS there) he's have his flag out. He has some nice wine there. Stop in, say hello, sample some wine and buy a bottle or two. He has a nice deck in the back of the winery and it's a great place to sit and have a picnic, drinking a bottle of his wine and watching the boats on the lake.

PTN

He has some nice wine there. Stop in, say hello, sample some wine and buy a bottle or two. He has a nice deck in the back of the winery and it's a great place to sit and have a picnic, drinking a bottle of his wine and watching the boats on the lake.

PTN

Last edited by a moderator:
One other note, when I was there last week I saw some guy has opened a brewery just a mile of so up the street from Don's place. And there is also a boutique distillery that's new just across the street from him. It's in the middle of a vineyard, I don't know who's grapes they are but it's a very pretty location. That's the cool thing out there, they know what they've got and they are working to maximize it. And what they have is a great location to grow wines and a bunch of guys who know how to make great wine. It's a drop dead gorgeous area, the lakes are stunningly beautiful. Seneca is 45 miles long, three miles wide and 600 feet deep! They are diversifying, it's not just a wine trail anymore. There is something for everyone, and it's the same on the other lakes as well. Again, I HIGHLY recommend a drive out there some weekend. It's a long drive, about 6 hours from Boston, so a long weekend is best but it's so worth it.

This Chamber of Commerce minute has been brought to you by the letters E, T, O and H.

PTN

We're spending a week out on the Finger Lakes at the end of July. First real vacation I've had in years. MIL's renting a cabin on the lake for the week, which also means (a more than incidental concern) that we've got an unlimited supply of free babysitting.

Village Tavern in Hammondsport (sp?) has the most un-be-****ing-leivable beer list I've ever seen. Literally eight pages of four-point font. Great food, too.

Back