Sell your brew? Ever considered it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EastCoastCraft

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am new to this site, so I apologize in advance if my thread in anyway offends the spirit of home brewing.

I was recently laid off and I have plenty of free time on my hands, and I'd like to begin to brew my own beer. In talking with some of my friends and colleagues I have decided to start doing some market research on the difficulties and possibilities of amateur brewings transition into professional. I just wondered if anyone here had thought of selling their favorite home brew, and what obstacles they have come in contact with.

Creating my own brew has been a passion since I could drink, however, it took a recession to give me the free time to consider it as an actual profession... Again, I know this is probably against the amateur spirit of the site, I just thought that some one here had to have considered it. That being said, I know that I will be a better salesman than brewmaster, so I am also considering brewmaster schools.

I have assembled two partners so far in my venture, my two best friends one has an MBA from Yale, the other has a degree in Finance and Accounting from Georgetown ( He left finance a few years ago, and is now a chef in NYC.) I have a degree in Finance from George Washington, and a background in Sales. Both partners thoroughly enjoy beer, and have been pressuring me to pursue this passion of mine for years. The only reason this information is relevant is because we all have substantial fundraising experience, so money isn't that large of an issue.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Mike

Not offended at all--I think a lot of people have that thought. If you're looking at it seriously, first thing you should do is check your local laws. Selling beer will require all sorts of permits, zoning, health code, etc. Just my $0.02

There is definatly some beuracracy you will have to go through.
Personally, I like to trade my beer for things, or give it as gifts. I knew a guy that sold some fancy blue bottles for as much as $15-$20. They were filled with Meade, but he didn't charge for that at all.

I'm thinking about opening up shop in suburban MD/Northern VA. In college I was a bartender in DC. I still keep in contact with a lot of managers, distributers, and bar owners. My brother-in-law actually builds breweries on the west coast.

I get offers to buy frequently so, yeah I consider it every time. My one and only obstacle is the law and I am not looking for profit here.

Since I am not venturing into a biz opp, best I can do is "let them" buy me some grain and then share 5 gallons of beer with them. Matter of fact making it isn;t even legal for me but, it's less illeagal than selling it.

I'm thinking about opening up shop in suburban MD/Northern VA. In college I was a bartender in DC. I still keep in contact with a lot of managers, distributers, and bar owners. My brother-in-law actually builds breweries on the west coast.

I think if you have that kind of in with the industry, you're one step ahead of most of the people here. This site is really geared towards brewing at home. I second a stop over at probrewer.com, because learning how to brew in your garage will give you fundamentals, but if you are looking to dive right in, I'd hire a consultant and go from there.

if i had money and marketing skills but no real knowledge of brewing i would look to partner with someone who did. cut years off the learning curve. JMO

Never. I know several dozen small craft brewers and the amount of work involved is amazing. As one put it, you're turning a great hobby into a job. You might still enjoy it, but it means brewing every day, brewing the same recipes, and taking a major hit financially when a batch goes weird. Sure, you can experiment, but instead of being out $70, it's $1000 down the drain.

I work in IT, as many on this forum do also. There was a time in the past that I liked to "tinker". Install BETA versions, learn a new programming language, test a new technology, etc. Working for 15 years as a consultant has exposed me to both the rewards and frustrations of what at one time was a hobby and interest and is now a career.

The last thing I want to do anymore is 'tinker' with technology crap when I get home. I spend 10+ hours a day immersed in project plans, budgets, managing people, deadlines, etc. You get the picture. I enjoy what I do, but I don't want to do it when I get home.

This is why I brew, hunt, shoot and collect guns, ride motorcycle, [insert passion & hobby here]. I have hobbies and passions to escape from work or at least forget about it. If brewing is a true passion that you enjoy; for the love of god don't ruin it by going into business. [With apologies to Jim Koch]

I know you need passion first to be successful at owning your own business, but brewing will no longer be your escape or hobby. You will be married to it and likely loose your hobby.

Do your research and good luck.

Back