Taking your Keg Tailgating...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevorino

Reaction score
Hey guys -- I'm interested in taking a corny or two of Homebrew Tailgating this spring (Tennessee Spring Game). What Equipment, other than the keg itself, is necessary to pull this off?

Given the restrictions of having alcohol on the Tennessee campus, I'd prefer to make whatever equipment needed to be able to stay in the car or hidden from the eyes of the po-po.

Thanks!

I think if you have your kegs on gas and then just got really long beer lines, maybe 6-8 feet. Then you could have a cooler filled with ice water and coil up the hoses in the ice water to cool it down before it gets to your glass. These are things that I thought you may already have.

If you don't have this equipment already, you may just want to make your own Jockey box with copper tubing in ice to do the chilling.

Just search for jockey box here to find what you need to build one or if money is not an issue, you could just buy one too such as this Jockey Box Cold Plate Cooler Beer Dispenser - 50 Qt., Double Faucet | BeverageFactory.com

A keg is kind of hard to hide. A 3 gallon keg or two might be easier to hide.

Have you considered transferring to 2 liter soda bottles? Much easier to hide.

As to serving the keg, you will need a party tap and either a CO2 bottle with regulator, or a CO2 injector that uses cartridges.

You need to turn one of these into a jockeybox :D

black2.gif

I usually place a keg in a primary bucket with a large towel wrapped around it then surround the keg with ice then fill the bucket with water near the top.

This keeps the beer cold since it flows form the bottom any way. Cover with a towel.

Then I run a tap line through to the trunk. If you don't like that then you can run a line out the cars back window...

You know you can do all this to hide that you are drinking, but it is going to be hard not to notice all of your new friends that are starting to gather around for vehicle for "some strange reason" as the po-po might think.

Well, I do have an SUV. Also, we're gonna be tailgating out the back of the truck regardless... We could also maybe disguise it under a picnic table in a small trash can...

Back