Carol Sells Light IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjj2ba

Look under the recliner
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
White Labs Burton Ale
Yeast Starter
500 ml starter
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
12 days at 65 F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
no secondary
Tasting Notes
This took 1st place in the Specialty beer category (23) at the 2012 Buzz-Off comp.
Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 6.63
Anticipated OG: 1.044 Plato: 11.07
Anticipated SRM: 8.6
Anticipated IBU: 48.4
Brewhouse Efficiency: 90 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name
60.4 4.00 lbs. Pale Malt - Golden Promise
15.1 1.00 lbs. Vienna BestMalz
7.5 0.50 lbs. Wheat Malt
5.7 0.38 lbs. Crystal 40L
5.7 0.38 lbs. Biscuit Malt
3.8 0.25 lbs. Crystal 60L
1.9 0.13 lbs. Dark Crystal II

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
12.00 g. Chinook Whole 13.00 22.2 First WH
18.00 g. Crystal Whole 4.60 4.4 20 min.
14.00 g. Sorachi Ace Pellet 10.90 8.9 20 min.
28.00 g. Crystal Whole 4.60 3.4 5 min.
28.00 g. Simcoe Whole 12.90 9.5 5 min.
28.00 g. Citra Pellet 11.00 0.0 Dry Hop
28.00 g. Simcoe Pellet 12.90 0.0 Dry Hop

Yeast

White Labs WLP023 Burton Ale

Mash Schedule

Mash in at 122 F and immediately heat to 155 F (took 16 min), Mash for 45 min. then mash out at 170

Fermented at 65 F for 7 days before dry hopping in primary. Kegged 5 days later
FG was 1.012
Force cabonated

Notes
"Dry" Hops were mixed with 10 Tbsp of vodka for 1 hr before adding everything to the primary fermentor

The competition took place 8 weeks after the beer was brewed. Timing was important, as 7 weeks out the Simcoe was way too dominant, but it mellowed quite a bit in the week before the competition.

That would be a good description. The hops worked out better than expected - true to IPA style. Now I just need to up the body a bit to make it less pale ale like and more IPA like in that respect.

How do you think this would fair of I switched Crystal for Perle and the specialty malts for roast/chocolate to make it black? Do the chinook and sorachi work well together?

Unrelated question: I have a lot of sorachi, warrior, and perle. I tried a warrior/sorachi IPA and it had too much bite/spice. Think that was from the warrior?

I think a crystal/perle switch would be fine. I don't know if I would reduce the specialty malts much, they are important for a full mouthfeel. I would simply add the roasted malts to the recipe. Be careful though as lower ABV beers require a deft hand so the roasted malts don't overpower.

I have little experience with Warrior so can't comment.

I've used Crystal hops in two light beers recently. I'm intrigued by the use of them here in the same quantities as what I perceive are much stronger hops, What's the reasoning for their inclusion, what do you expect out of them? I've read that these are pretty mild and delicate, so does the Crystal hop bring out some quality in the others that alone they do not have?

In this particular beer, I was using the crystal hops as "filler". I wasn't looking for a lot out of them other a generic hoppiness and maybe some subtle notes to add a little more complexity to the hop profile. I'm also trying to use more hop blends so that if one of the hops is not available, it can be subbed for with less change to the overall hop flavor profile

Back