mini mash in 3 gallon cooler question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gasman

Reaction score
i just recieved my first mini mash kit (british ipa) from austin homebrew and the directions say to soak the grains in a grain bag at 155f for 45 minutes and drain...then pour 170f water over grain bag....i made a small 3 gallon mash tun and i was wondering if i can use it to mash instead of grain bag...i was thinking mash at 155f then sparge at 170f...pretty much the same thing right?.. or is it done differntly when using the mash tun

I've been doing that with my mini mashes too. It's just easier to keep the temperature steady.

The other weird thing is that AHS says to mash in 2.5gal of water (in the brew kettle) no matter how much grain you have. I sort of go against their direction here and just use 1.5 qts per pound, plus I add boiling water if I need to adjust my mash temp.

Yes, I have made the same thing and have used it several times now for PM brews. It works great. I even have done a 3gallon AG batch. Lots of fun, good beer too. Just follow the same directions but use your MLT.

i just recieved my first mini mash kit (british ipa) from austin homebrew and the directions say to soak the grains in a grain bag at 155f for 45 minutes and drain...then pour 170f water over grain bag....i made a small 3 gallon mash tun and i was wondering if i can use it to mash instead of grain bag...i was thinking mash at 155f then sparge at 170f...pretty much the same thing right?.. or is it done differntly when using the mash tun

My GF did a Belgian Wit partial mash this past Sunday using a three-gallon Rubbermaid round cooler that I converted using a stainless mesh FB. IIRC, it used 2.5# 2-row, 1.5# flaked wheat, 1# flaked oats. Had excellent results. Go for it!

I just did an AHS mini-mash last weekend for the first time using a 3-gallon cooler for mash tun. I plugged everything into Beersmith, and got different amounts of water for mashing and sparging, so I used them instead of the AHS instructions. So far, so good. I hit the SG within a point, so if that's any indication, it all worked out.

I have done may last 5 PM beers or so using a 3 gallon mlt. I really like it and it is pretty much just holding me over until I can get the AG setup completed this summer. The one thing that has helped me a lot was this article in BYO:

Countertop Partial Mashing

You may want to check it out. Using this I have been able to get on average 80-85% efficiency.

Back