The spigot!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim.jamison

Reaction score
What I have been doing is

1. Primary Ferm.

2. Secondary Ferm.

When its ready to bottle I syphon from the Secondary to a bucket that has a spigot and use that bucket for bottling leaving the crap at the bottom of the Secondary ferm. so I won't have tons of sediment in my bottling bucket.

Is that ok? Bad idea??

Get back with me.

That is my procedure too. My kit came with the bottling bucket. I have since added the secondary to the procedure, and it definitely aiding the clarity of my brews.

You're doing pretty much what I do:
1) Primary fermentation in bottling bucket.
2) Rack via spigot to glass secondary (carboy) for conditioning.
3) Rack back to bottling bucket via siphon on bottling day.
4) Stir in priming solution and bottle away.

Yep, the spigot makes bottling simple. I add my priming sugar to the bucket before I rack so that the swirling from the siphon to the bottom of the bucket mixes everything up good without splashing. No carbonation problems yet.

Have you guys ever experienced a sanitation issue with leaving the spigot on for 2 weeks? I've always been squeamish about using the bottling bucket as a primary for that reason. Do you cover the opening of the spigot (outside) to prevent nasties from drafting in?

WOT

yeah they get gross if not on super tight. one time i had a slow leak out of it and mold biult up in it.

Back