How much CO2 is used to carb and serve a 5 gal corny?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dunno.

I always loose count before I refill.

I guess you could work it out.
If you prime at 2x volume and I guess it takes one times (plus a bit) to serve.

can the math be done on that premiss?

RC.....

Your set up looks very nice and well done.
I have a real problem with your link.

You probably know hell of a lot more than me and I am possibly mistaken. If so please correct me.

I think that modifying/converting/fiddling with anything that is pre regulator on a system that is maybe 400-800 psi can be lethal.

This is just my understanding of he situation and as stated I may be wrong.

Some of the figure here scare me.

Orfy, that's Lusterking's site not the OP's but yeah, the warning about the high side is still valid. Make sure you know what the hell you're doing on 1000psi.

To carb to 2 volumes and dispense takes exactly 15 gallons of gaseous CO2. I remember looking up all the conversions and figuring out what that was in ounces of liquid CO2 but the thread escapes me now.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that the site was mine. I just stumbled across it here from someone else's profile. I meant to articulate that I have an old co2 tank from when I used to play paintball. Orfy, is your concern about the adapter he fit in before the regulator?

I like the idea of moving to kegging, but I don't really have much disposable income to play with right now. So I'm looking for more inexpensive solutions..

The 3x the volume bit, helps though. I can understand what would likely need to be calculated based on that... I found a conversion chart here: http://www.uigi.com/co2_conv.html

I did some math (not sure it is 100% right) that came out with an OK fill on a 9oz bottle would provide about 31 gallons of co2 in gas form. So based on that it would carb and serve about 2 5-gal kegs. If my math is right...

Yeah that sounds pretty close. If you wanted to get more out of it, you could still carb the kegs with priming sugar and just dispense the beer with the tank. Then later when you can afford a larger tank, you can keep the small setup for portable applications.

Last time I filled a paintball CO2 tank, it was like $8. I can get 5lb CO2 filled for $13.

don't forget to factor in that increased refill cost.

I just took a look at this thread again, now that I did find some kegs.

Orfy, I can understand your concern, however that type of adapter that was used are pretty common in paintball. I used to play a lot of paintball back in high school. I remember using similar set ups when filling tanks..

Malkore, your point is well taken. Taking another look at this, it seems that the regulator is really the next thing I need. Taking into account that some deals have tank and regulator included.. If I picked up a regulator though, I could play around with what I have now with out too much outlay.. Sounds fun either way :)

Back