Irish Red Ale Help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeyc

Reaction score
So I brewed my Irish Red Ale tonight. I have a question that maybe someone can help me. The Kit came with 1oz of Target im assuming as a substitute for Northern Brewer. It came with generic instructions for an Extract batch. So when I got my boil going I added 1oz of target hops. I just checked the web site just to see the steeping grains used. In the inventory for the it called for 1/2 oz of Northern Brewer for 60mins. I used 1oz of Target. How of do you think it will be? Im sure its going to be more bitter than one would traditionally like a red ale. I just hope it doesnt F#$% it up too bad.:confused: Any imput????

Since Target Hops AAU range from 9.5 to 12, and Northern Brewer Hops AAU are from 6.5 to 8, and you used double the amount of Target Hops, I would say one thing: I hope you're a Hophead. :D

Northern Brewer and Target are fairly comparable in terms of AA% so you will definitely have a more bitter beer. If you post the whole recipe it would be easier to say how well it will work, it will be overly bitter for the style but still pretty good I would think. It would probably be closer to an American amber in fact.

The recipe is as follows.......

Steeping Grains:

0.5 lbs. Dingemans Caramel Pils
0.25 lbs. Briess Special Roast
0.125 lbs. Dingemans Biscuit
0.125 lbs. Simpson's Chocolate

6lbs Gold Malt Syrup.

1oz Target hops. (suppost to be 1/2 oz of Northern Brewer)
the IBU's on the hop package was 8.0.

Wyeast #1272 American Ale Yeast II

My starting gravity was 1.035. But its an extract batch so Im not sweating the gravity. Its the bitterness Im concerned with. Thanks alot.

Just a guess here: They intended for you to add 1/2 oz for 60 minutes, and the other 1/2 at 5 minutes before flame out.....

Yea, my dumb A$$ realized that when I looked on the top of the box after I pitched my yeast and was cleaning up. Oh well, its beer. I do love hoppy beers. I just hope the bitterness isnt to overwhelming.

I suspect you got a kit from Northern Brewer, which is now using the Target in this recipe - I assume it relates to the hops shortage. But if I recall correctly, the recipe called for 1/2 oz for 60 mins and 1/2 oz at 30 min, so adding the full 1 oz for the whole 60 shouldn't be that big a deal on the bitterness scale. You'll lose a little aroma, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Like you said, it's beer. Speaking for myself, I've never drank a beer that I thought was too bitter. But I was spoiled by being in Germany for 3 years back in the 80's when I was only 18-20, so I was exposed to good beer at an early age. :)

Back