Victory in a wheat ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zippyclown

Reaction score
Anybody have experience using Victory malt in a wheat ale? Looking to add some to a recipe I'm putting together. I'm looking for a drinkable clean wheat flavor with big chewy mouthfeel and some toastiness. Maybe like liquid pizza crust or a toasted slice of a real grainy bread, if that makes any sense at all. So wondering if Victory will give me that edge I'm looking for.

Sounds awesome. Liquid pizza crust..mmmm. I've never made such a brew but if I were here is how I would start.
I'd go:
60% Wheat Malt
35% Base Malt/2 Row (maybe try Maris Otter) if you are looking for something grainier/toastier.
5% Victory
1oz Noble Hop at 60
1oz Noble Hop at 10
Clean Ale Yeast

Why Not?

I believe that Lagunitas lil sumpin sumpin has victory in the grain bill, from what I read in byo in its IPA 2.0 article. They posted the recipe, I'd like to brew it.

I'd just sub out all of the base malt for light munich. This is similar to what I do with dunkelweizen and it is quite toasty, I also add a pound of dark munich. If you want added flavor add some victory as well.

Sounds awesome. Liquid pizza crust..mmmm. I've never made such a brew but if I were here is how I would start.
I'd go:
60% Wheat Malt
35% Base Malt/2 Row (maybe try Maris Otter) if you are looking for something grainier/toastier.
5% Victory
1oz Noble Hop at 60
1oz Noble Hop at 10
Clean Ale Yeast

Why Not?

This is along the lines of what I was going to put together. Was going to split 50/50 wheat malt and marris otter and then a small % Victory. However, I'm intrigued by the idea of a toasty dunkelweizen after reading jlpred55's reply.

Would something like this make any sense?

55% wheat malt
25% maris otter
10% dark munic
5% victory
5% flaked wheat
1oz hallertau@60
.25 hallertau @ 15
.25 hallertau @ 5

(i like some hop spice/aroma)

This is along the lines of what I was going to put together. Was going to split 50/50 wheat malt and marris otter and then a small % Victory. However, I'm intrigued by the idea of a toasty dunkelweizen after reading jlpred55's reply.

Would something like this make any sense?

55% wheat malt
25% maris otter
10% dark munic
5% victory
5% flaked wheat
1oz hallertau@60
.25 hallertau @ 15
.25 hallertau @ 5

(i like some hop spice/aroma)

I like it. What yeast? Remember we are trying to get pizza crust here. Maybe an English strain to get a little diacytel (sp) as pizza crust is often brushed with butter.

I like it. What yeast? Remember we are trying to get pizza crust here. Maybe an English strain to get a little diacytel (sp) as pizza crust is often brushed with butter.

I like the suggestion! But never been a big fan of butter, even on popcorn. Going to try this as-is with a yeast that fits the style and with any luck I'll get that toasty grainy chewy beer I'm after. If I don't, something tells me I'll enjoy drinking this anyway. Cheers!

Back